• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nut Material for 1958 Jnr

caint123

Hi all.
I recently picked up an old 4 digit serial no 1958 D/Cut Jnr. Definitely a players grade instrument... in fact, beat to hell is probably the most accurate description. haha It has had an old headstock repair, and most of the finish is crazed, worn off and faded to hell. But it sounds amazing, and the neck fits my hand in ways that are positively indecent. As a bonus it is also one of those oddball ones where the P90 is a soapbar style, as opposed to a dogear.
Mostly it is original, with the exception of the original nut which is long gone, probably from the headstock repair. It is currently sporting a bone one, but I was hoping to throw one made from the original material - 6/6 nylon I'm guessing?
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a blank or two?
Cheers!

sws1

Hi all.
I recently picked up an old 4 digit serial no 1958 D/Cut Jnr. Definitely a players grade instrument... in fact, beat to hell is probably the most accurate description. haha It has had an old headstock repair, and most of the finish is crazed, worn off and faded to hell. But it sounds amazing, and the neck fits my hand in ways that are positively indecent. As a bonus it is also one of those oddball ones where the P90 is a soapbar style, as opposed to a dogear.
Mostly it is original, with the exception of the original nut which is long gone, probably from the headstock repair. It is currently sporting a bone one, but I was hoping to throw one made from the original material - 6/6 nylon I'm guessing?
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get a blank or two?
Cheers!

I had previously found blank nuts on Ebay. I think they were marketed at Nylon 4/6.

caint123

I remember grabbing a couple of blanks from Bartlett some years back, but didn't want to badger him away from his luthiery if there was a supplier other forum folk recommended.
I'll have a look on ebay. :)
Cheers.

zacknorton

Reverb has a few listings for 6/6 nylon nut blanks

got any pics of your beat up guitar???

TM1

There's a member here named RandK who CNC's Nylon nuts. They're really great and look like the originals. I've used a few of the ones he's made. Get intouch with him and I would think he could make you one.

caint123

Thanks to all for the replies!
The bone nut that was on there had a hairline crack in it, and while restringing the old gal for her first gig coming up on last weekend it snapped through. So shaped and slotted a new bone one. I think I'll leave that on there for now, and grab some nylon blanks off ebay for later experimentation. :)
(Will slap a few photos up soon too. :D )

renderit

I like bone on anything. The new nylons that are out are great though. I bought a bunch from somebody here and a couple of other places so now I have my toolbox full of nylon and my bone is depleting a bit so at some point I will go back to nylon. I just love the bone though...