LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Pups Doug and Pat Show P90 Shootout #2

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Re: Doug and Pat Show P90 Shootout #2

My favorite clip of a P90 sized pickup came when I was scoping out one of those staple lollars years back, haven't gotten into one myself but the clip still holds up IMO:

Probably be sacrilegious to put one in the neck of my FBIII but ya never know.

I didn't think any of them came close to the vintage tones of the 50's Special or the Melody Maker, which I thought sounded awesome. Not sure how the experience was to play it, but it sounded freeeeking great. IMHO.

I think some fat clean Deluxe tones and maybe even some fuzz might have been a better test for the P-90's. I love the Vox AC 10 they use, but it might not have been the best amp for the P-90's.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    My favorite clip of a P90 sized pickup came when I was scoping out one of those staple lollars years back, haven't gotten into one myself but the clip still holds up IMO. Probably be sacrilegious to put one in the neck of my FBIII but ya never know.
    Jason Lollar is a national treasure. I've never encountered a bad design from him.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Having been one that "Beta Tested" the ThroBak P-90's a few years back, I think they sound the closest to the originals. I did side by side in my R-4 (Historic Makeovers) vs. originals. I have eight original 50's P-90's. I haven't heard any P-90's that are as close as the ThroBak's are to originals. Too bad that Gibson can't even get close to what they once built.. Why?

I put the Thrōbak P90's (actually a set of Specials at his recommendation) in this beasty. It sounds flat out awesome. It had Lollars. I loved them but they were too "nice". Very clear and piano-like. I wanted nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I put the Thrōbak P90's (actually a set of Specials at his recommendation) in this beasty. It sounds flat out awesome. It had Lollars. I loved them but they were too "nice". Very clear and piano-like. I wanted nasty.

So as a result........do you think they sound like humbuckers.