• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Amber plastics

lvidal

I’m curious about the amber switch tip and amber knobs origin, if someone can clarify this to me. Are they amber as the aging process took over them in vintage guitars or they were released in amber color?

Thanks!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The switch tips turned amber [from ivory or cream].

The knobs started out gold, and some darkened to an amber tint.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
They are different types of plastics, and probably age differently. :hmm

El Gringo

The switch tips turned amber [from ivory or cream].

The knobs started out gold, and some darkened to an amber tint.
Somebody told me this over 25 years ago and I could not believe it ,but if you are saying it esp. about the switch tip then I believe it. How long would it take for the switch tip to turn ?

edselman

It is my understanding that the switch tips (Switchcraft) were made of Catalin, a plastic created in the 1920’s that was made in various colors. It was used for jewelry, drawer handles and Majong tiles. The dark yellow that Switchcraft chose is the original color.

Last edited:

edselman

Catalin is now commonly referred to a Bakelite by collectors. It isn't though. Bakelite is dark brown or nearly black. Look at 1950's telephones. Catalin handles, bracelets and earrings are very collectable. Items made of the material are warm to the touch and give off an ether smell when vigorously rubbed. Also, when vigerously rubbing the item with a white cloth some of the color is transfered to the cloth. This would be a way to tell if an old switch tip is genuine or not.

As to the question regarding the switch tips changing to amber over time, it can be clearly seen that this did not happen. There was an abrupt change in 1961 when Gibson started using switches with white or cream colored tips. These were possibly Lucite which overtook Catalin in popularity, styrene or nylon.

Last edited: