• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New 2018 Bartlett '59 Replica

Ed A

Well I did it again... couldnt help myself... love working with Tom, picking the wood and the coloring, and watching him do his magic!... This one weighs in at 8lbs., 6oz... Neck is spec'd to the exact shape of my former '53/'57 Goldtop.... new top carve taken from a real burst and blue laser copied... and the usual: old growth mahogany, brazilian, eastern maple, all the correct glues in the right places including hide glue, correct material plastics, binding and inlays, Bartlett rings, hard thin nitro naturally checked...

So for this one I wanted big wide flame, very little mineral, flitch matched and rich cherry sunburst only slightly faded.... It has my fave vintage PAFs, 8.1K in the neck and 8.6K in the bridge, vintage tail, centralabs, bees and knobs...

Here's a video playing though my early '80 Fender Deluxe II and another video live through my Blues Jr. with vintage JBL D120... Famous last words but gonna take this one to the grave with me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6kWlvnWoM&t=157s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrmyvHLIpM

PICTURES

I HAD TO SELL THE BARTLETT ON THE LEFT... EQUALLY GREAT GUITAR, BUT I GOTTA SELL TO BUY... STORY OF MY LIFE!

Last edited:

corpse

Both clips sound great- right through the wheelhouse.

Ed A

A few more pix....

Last edited:

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats Ed... :salude

P.S. Sounds great too... :peace2

P.S.S. Nice job on the Whipping Post solo, as usual... :salude

marshall1987

I'm blown away with the way this guitar looks and sounds! What a gem you have there Ed. Congratulations. :salude

Stephens

Awesome NGD! Really enjoyed listening to Whipping Post! Great tone,playing and band!

57gold

Played my buddy's Bartlett replica, which made me want to get some of Tom's work in my guitar arsenal.

Had him build me a Retrospec, as I have a couple of 1950s LPs and wanted his new model. Great playing, feeling and sounding instruments!

Your replica is beautiful...dig the finish, the cool checking and its tone with the real PAFs. A "winner, winner, chicken dinner" guitar.

Tom is a great guy to work with, so the whole process is fun. Posted a WIP build thread on TGP, which documents Tom's build process:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...spec-wip-arrived-today.1497674/#post-18847072

Last edited:

c_wester

That thing sounds really good.
Actually it sounds like a original to my ears.

Ed A

Played my buddy's Bartlett replica, which made me want to get some of Tom's work in my guitar arsenal.

Had him build me a Retrospec, as I have a couple of 1950s LPs and wanted his new model. Great playing, feeling and sounding instruments!

Your replica is beautiful...dig the finish, the cool checking and its tone with the real PAFs. A "winner, winner, chicken dinner" guitar.

Tom is a great guy to work with, so the whole process is fun. Posted a WIP build thread on TGP, which documents Tom's build process:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...spec-wip-arrived-today.1497674/#post-18847072

Checked out your gear page post, very cool.... Ive been to Tom's shop three or four times... he will be building me a fourth replica... I admit it, Im addicted!

lim_lau

hey ed!!! nice guitar and even nicer playing!! i have a bartlett replica as well. they does sound right and feel like it speaks to us right??

jalevinemd

hey ed!!! nice guitar and even nicer playing!! i have a bartlett replica as well. they does sound right and feel like it speaks to us right??

Yours has been met with a slightly different reaction, though. :hmm

JPP-1

Hey Ed, I understand Bartlett is in Canada so I may be completely off base here, but the only Les Paul finish I ever recall looking like that was from Histroic Makeovers. Almost like they weren’t completely polished and left tacky with too much clear coat or something.

Don’t get me wrong, they are beautiful guitars but I thought the finish seemed odd and reminded me of those HMs, at least in some of the pictures

Congrats on your TBB Bartlett. Hopefully you’ll have some videos up in the Late Spring.

PICTURES

][/URL]

Last edited:

Ed A

JPP1... you picked a couple pix that reflect the light a bit weirdly... yes the finish isnt high gloss, but it is glossy, and I can tell you it is extremely thin... if you look at these pix with reflections what youre seeing mostly is the finish sucking into the wood pores... I personally didnt want perfect glass shine but didnt want dull either.... but definitely not a thick finish...