• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2003 R8 question?

matei

Banned
Hi all,

Was just researching an R8 for sale not too far from me, ser. no. 8 3XXX. Did this belong to anyone? I saw the number pop up twice in a search of the forums, but the posters can't receive private messages.

Based on the serial number range, it appears to fall within those that have brazilian boards for that year. I've got a braz board R7 from that same year, the pics show a similar shade/grain of wood, so I guess it is a possibility.

The seller also states that it was factory reliced. Wasn't sure if a factory relic job would also come with some sort of cert?

Last edited:

FlameTop

I was not aware that they did any in-house relicing (aka ageing) back then. Could he mean its an 'Authentic' which was the forerunner of VOS? (I have a 2002 R8 Authentic)

matei

Banned
Hi - yes, without at doubt a 2003, came with a cert and all the case candy. I ended up buying it anyway as I liked the plaintop, plus it wasn't a million miles away. The fact that the serial number seems to fall within those 2003 R8's that have the brazilian boards is a bonus. I have an R7 with a braz board, and this fretboard has a very similar grain and streak pattern to my R7, just a bit lighter - a reddish brown.

The neck profile and top carve are really similar to my 2003 R7. I had read that the R7 and R8 have beefier necks than the 59 and 60; I don't feel much of a difference between my R7 and this - perhaps the R8 is a hair slimmer. Same vintage-style frets.

It is an interesting guitar, resonant but in a different way to my R7... almost a "drier" sort of sound, hard to describe, when played acoustically. Notes resonate differently. It is what I imagined a '50s lester would sound like unplugged.

I opened up the control cavity to see if there was any more info, it just has R8 stamped in there. The previous owner (or one of the previous owners) swapped out the stock caps for Jensens, and the pickups for Sheptones.

The relicing job is pretty good; there is no way that it could've aged like that in 15 years unless it was played for hours every day in a touring situation. If someone did it themselves, they did a good job - it isn't over-the-top.

I'm going to install Grovers, the aged Klusons are cool but I don't dig their look (or the way they work). All the cool guys have Grovers anyway :-D

FlameTop

Aha, congrats. Always nice to hear a happy conclusion to a purchasing question :)

matei

Banned

Here are a few quick snaps. It is a fun guitar to play, the bigger neck really makes you slow down and think about what to play - instead of zooming all over the place.

IMG_20180614_131426_430.jpg
IMG_20180614_131439_650.jpg
IMG_20180614_131503_748.jpg
IMG_20180614_131519_939.jpg

Big Al

Here are a few quick snaps. It is a fun guitar to play, the bigger neck really makes you slow down and think about what to play - instead of zooming all over the place.

View attachment 7796
View attachment 7797
View attachment 7798
View attachment 7799

How does the "big neck" make you "slow down and think?" What is the spec size where thought is provoked?

Neck size doesn't hinder speed/fluidity or influence thoughts about note choice, causing more slower thoughtful playing. Speed is generated by the picking hand. Intellect governs thought.

Dilver

How does the "big neck" make you "slow down and think?" What is the spec size where thought is provoked?

Neck size doesn't hinder speed/fluidity or influence thoughts about note choice, causing more slower thoughtful playing. Speed is generated by the picking hand. Intellect governs thought.

I play faster on a bigger neck and I kinda wish my 2017 R8 had a bigger neck like previous years.

Big Al

I play faster on a bigger neck and I kinda wish my 2017 R8 had a bigger neck like previous years.

Full round necks are most comfortable for my mitts. Much less effort for me and speed was never compromised or hindered. My ability to play quick is the same full or thin, but thin profiles require more effort and cause hand cramps. It's a personal thing.

AA00475Bassman

Great looking guitar glad to hear how much you like your R8 .Enjoy playing your new guitar !

matei

Banned

In my case - can't speak for others - the neck on this and a few of my other guitars is so beefy that I physically can't do some of the things I could do on a slim, narrow neck. Especially live. My picking hand is quite ineffective due to an injury during my teenage years, so most of my speed is left hand legato.

I'm not blessed with Steve Vai-esque spider fingers, so the added girth (oooh 'er) restricts me. I could probably get away with some of the flashier licks if I were sitting down or had the guitar up around my neck, but playing live - with the guitar down low, and the bigger neck, I have a greater ricks of stumbling and sounding sloppy.

My two lesters have this same profile, they're both 2003's, and I also have two Strats (a 1991 or 92 Jeff Beck and a '57 Custom shop) that have a very similar massive profile. It works for me.

I've got a few other guitars with fast, thin, narrow necks and I can really fly on those. They're a lot of fun - but for what I'm doing most of the time, that playing doesn't fit. It sure is fun though.

Big Al

In my case - can't speak for others - the neck on this and a few of my other guitars is so beefy that I physically can't do some of the things I could do on a slim, narrow neck. Especially live. My picking hand is quite ineffective due to an injury during my teenage years, so most of my speed is left hand legato.

I'm not blessed with Steve Vai-esque spider fingers, so the added girth (oooh 'er) restricts me. I could probably get away with some of the flashier licks if I were sitting down or had the guitar up around my neck, but playing live - with the guitar down low, and the bigger neck, I have a greater ricks of stumbling and sounding sloppy.

My two lesters have this same profile, they're both 2003's, and I also have two Strats (a 1991 or 92 Jeff Beck and a '57 Custom shop) that have a very similar massive profile. It works for me.

I've got a few other guitars with fast, thin, narrow necks and I can really fly on those. They're a lot of fun - but for what I'm doing most of the time, that playing doesn't fit. It sure is fun though.

Yeah, it really is different for each player. In my case it really isn't thickness, "up to a point", and is more a question of shape or profile. The slope from the fingerboad to the center of the back of the neck, the much discussed shoulders. I favor reduced shoulders, rounded to a soft V. My favorite is a soft V about an inch thick from nut to heal. Rounded, I like best just under an inch, .900-.960 with little taper.

I can and do play a variety of profiles, but like you, I'm most at home on my preferd profile.
Got yourself a looker but even better one with a voice!!

matei

Banned
Yeah, it really is different for each player. In my case it really isn't thickness, "up to a point", and is more a question of shape or profile. The slope from the fingerboad to the center of the back of the neck, the much discussed shoulders. I favor reduced shoulders, rounded to a soft V. My favorite is a soft V about an inch thick from nut to heal. Rounded, I like best just under an inch, .900-.960 with little taper.

I can and do play a variety of profiles, but like you, I'm most at home on my preferd profile.
Got yourself a looker but even better one with a voice!!

I do like the fatter neck, feel-wise - as it is more comfortable as well. As a player I tend to get lazy and speed up just for flash's sake (comes from growing up in the '80s when shredding was king), so the fat neck acts as a physical brake, forces me to come up with something new rather than just reaching for the stock licks.

I remember growing up seeing guys playing Lesters on the telly, like yer man in REO Speedwagon etc, and I always liked the less figured, plainer tops.

Whowever had this before me put in some Sheptones, and I really like them. To my ears they sound less powerful than the Burstbuckers I had/have in my other Les Pauls, they're quite clear but have decent sustain.

I've dropped Black58 a message - curious to know about the history of this guitar (assuming it is the same one he had!). I bought it off a cat in Belgium, I live in England - so this guitar has travelled a bit.

renderit

I do like the fatter neck, feel-wise - as it is more comfortable as well. As a player I tend to get lazy and speed up just for flash's sake (comes from growing up in the '80s when shredding was king), so the fat neck acts as a physical brake, forces me to come up with something new rather than just reaching for the stock licks.

I remember growing up seeing guys playing Lesters on the telly, like yer man in REO Speedwagon etc, and I always liked the less figured, plainer tops.

Whowever had this before me put in some Sheptones, and I really like them. To my ears they sound less powerful than the Burstbuckers I had/have in my other Les Pauls, they're quite clear but have decent sustain.

I've dropped Black58 a message - curious to know about the history of this guitar (assuming it is the same one he had!). I bought it off a cat in Belgium, I live in England - so this guitar has travelled a bit.

Man! I wish you could try 4 of mine. Right up your alley potentially. 61 reissue Les, SG type. Like a 59 neck but slightly smaller all around. A B&G Little Sister. Beefy but most excellent soft V. And my Collings 360ST. Best Soft V I ever held. Of course the Nash 64 or 5 345 I have is excellent small but very round and 'fast'.

matei

Banned
Man! I wish you could try 4 of mine. Right up your alley potentially. 61 reissue Les, SG type. Like a 59 neck but slightly smaller all around. A B&G Little Sister. Beefy but most excellent soft V. And my Collings 360ST. Best Soft V I ever held. Of course the Nash 64 or 5 345 I have is excellent small but very round and 'fast'.

Sounds like a nice mix!

My favourite neck ever is on a 2007 Gretsch Hot Rod, it is a soft V and it is just super comfortable. Not too fat, not too thin. For some reason though, in my head, I associate Les Pauls with big necks. No idea, perhaps it is that whole Peter Green thing.

I've got a '73 SG Standard that has a really nice neck as well, like what you describe on your SG type. The only thing is odd is that at the nut it is incredibly narrow.

Black58

Sorry, didn't get your message. But I'm here. .. No, that one was not mine. I had 8-3085. :)