• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1956 Les Paul GT Darkback broken headstock

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Need a repair recommendation for a 1956 Les Paul GT Darkback broken headstock

I picked up a 1956 Les Paul with a broken headstock yesterday. Dave Johnson has done some great repairs for me in the past but I am not sure he is available. Dave if you are, please let me know!!! I am not sure anyone in central virginia could do the repair. Does anyone have a good contact for a luthier to do a vintage headstock repair?

I'll post some pics when I get a bit more time. :salude

Thank you
Bryan

Last edited:

Nick21

I picked up a 1956 Les Paul with a broken headstock yesterday from a UPS salvage store. I am not sure anyone in Richmond could do the repair. Does anyone have a good contact for a luthier to do a headstock repair?

Thank you
Bryan

Joe Glaser in Nashville has done amazing work for me in the past.

MapleFlame

I picked up a 1956 Les Paul with a broken headstock yesterday from a UPS salvage store. I am not sure anyone in Richmond could do the repair. Does anyone have a good contact for a luthier to do a headstock repair?

Thank you
Bryan

Ian Davlin,
Main Drag Music in Brooklyn. 330 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211.

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Thanks guys. I called Glasers, thye don't do "ship ins" as in receive the guitar by mail. I offered to drive to Nashville to drop it off and send email pics of all the damage but they said they would need to see the guitar in person to know whether they could\would do the repair.

Joe Desperado

Close by you is Brian Howard. I think he is in Hummelstown, PA. Extremely talented and will not add un-needed splines etc. Just really good clean restoration work.

Joe Desperado

Oh…and David Colins up in Ann Arbor Michigan. He has a really cool headstock jig for getting things aligned just right and clapped tight. I would go to either Brian or David in a heart beat.

Bruce R

Thanks for the link to that repair job. Brilliant. I recalled seeing it a while ago and have never been able to find it. I made a mental note to "send a guitar to that guy" if I ever broke one!!

AA00475Bassman

Thanks guys. I called Glasers, thye don't do "ship ins" as in receive the guitar by mail. I offered to drive to Nashville to drop it off and send email pics of all the damage but they said they would need to see the guitar in person to know whether they could\would do the repair.
These guys are difficult to deal with take a pass , you will find capable people easy to deal with . The gold top repair looked really nice !

Last edited:

Arnold M.

crazy .. it seems it would be easier to get an audience with The Pope than have this place do some repair work ..

renderit

crazy .. it seems it would be easier to get an audience with The Pope than have this place do some repair work ..

Who? Send it to me. I have some leftover tar and feathers. I can fix it for ya!

36388543341_9e9d63325e.jpg

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Great leads folks. Thank you! More to the story to follow!!!

Axis39

Sorry, I didn't see this before. There's a guy in Fredericksburg, Thom Schiff. He is very sought after around here. I know a number of folks who will use nobody else.

lhric

Re: Need a repair recommendation for a 1956 Les Paul GT Darkback broken headstock

I picked up a 1956 Les Paul with a broken headstock yesterday. Dave Johnson has done some great repairs for me in the past but I am not sure he is available. Dave if you are, please let me know!!! I am not sure anyone in central virginia could do the repair. Does anyone have a good contact for a luthier to do a vintage headstock repair?

Thank you
Bryan

We have up here in Akron, Ohio Lay’s Guitar Shop. Been around since 1962 under Virgil Lay and now under the ownership of Dan Shinn who’s worked there since 1979. They’ve done work for Joe Walsh, ZZ Top, and also had worked on Jimmy Page’s #1 Les Paul.