• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Calling all Les Paul experts !!! What do I have here ?!?!

jrfisher

I had a 75 Standard and it looks to have all of the same features except the block inlays. I'd say it's a genuine Gibson but with a couple of odd features, not necessarily uncommon in the Norlin years. The three-piece neck, frets, and binding are the features that make me believe Gibson made it. The electrical components appear correct for the period.

I find those frets to be very comfortable for my style of playing.

WillyK

I had a 75 Standard and it looks to have all of the same features except the block inlays. I'd say it's a genuine Gibson but with a couple of odd features, not necessarily uncommon in the Norlin years. The three-piece neck, frets, and binding are the features that make me believe Gibson made it. The electrical components appear correct for the period.

I find those frets to be very comfortable for my style of playing.

Thanks for the input, I also have a few others from that era and it looks right in every way and I know they did some odd things back then, I just wanted some other opinions on it.
I do think its cool to fall into a Standard with a custom fretboard. So I'm happy.

Gold+Guitars

Pot dates are 13778xx and serial on headstock has first #7 and fifth #8. It appears to be a 78' standard with a Custom ebony fretboard

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I've never seen a Gibson serial number in that font or location. :wah

WillyK

Someone suggested replaced neck? It would have had to been done long ago because the neck glows under a blacklight just like the body.

guitplayer

That is an unusual 2 piece top. Kinda chevron.
Everything else looks right. weird.:hmm

AJCR

Mahogany neck and what looks like the 1971 logo......the plot thickens.

My guess is an employee guitar.

WillyK

Mahogany neck and what looks like the 1971 logo......the plot thickens.

My guess is an employee guitar.

I'm kinda leaning towards the same thing, We had a guitar builder in the Cleveland area back in the 90s that would hire a few highschool students for summer jobs , and at the end of the summer as a bonus I guess, he would help them build a guitar for themselves (very cool in my opinion ! ) I acquired one of them many years ago. It had a glow in the dark metallic paint job, sweet! I guess if they could do it , maybe guys at Gibson made their own guitars at some point too.

Progrocker111

Wow, mahogany neck in 78, wrong serial and other details. :hmm

I really am clueless in this case. Perhaps really some employee hybrid.

WillyK

Wow, mahogany neck in 78, wrong serial and other details. :hmm

I really am clueless in this case. Perhaps really some employee hybrid.

Thats what Im guessing, it would explain the custom truss rod cover , and I'm totally fine with that , I paid 800 bucks for it and it has instantly become my favorite. It plays great and the oddball fretboard makes it cool.

P.S. Your avatar is sooo creepy dude !

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I dont know man, I have 8 others and and its identical to them all except for the fretboard and where the serial numbers stamped.

And the serial number font?

I have owned hundreds of modern Les Pauls and handled many hundreds more. I have never seen one where the serial number looked like that, or was positioned in that location.
If the font on yours look the same, please post a few photos. :hmm

lvidal

All I see is a weird thing from Norlin era. Gibson logo too low, stranged serial number font and wrong placement. And that Custard TRC is pretty sure an engraving done by the owner.

guitplayer

The font looks like the standard "key" stamp font.
Maple top does not look like maple used then. I`d like to see inside the CC better.