The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Hollowbody Creaking from Strap

I have a vintage hollowbody that the strap is causing a creaking dould like a tall ship at sea. I'm considering putting felt on the strap where it touches the body. Anyone have experience with this problem?

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Hollowbody Creaking from Strap

Are you wrapped around the head stock or have a button behind the neck.
    -try not resting your arms weight on the body but let it float. top will vibrate more also...

Quote Originally Posted by jhmp View Post
    Are you wrapped around the head stock or have a button behind the neck.
    -try not resting your arms weight on the body but let it float. top will vibrate more also...
    I ended up getting a sheet of felt that is sticky on the back from Michael's craft store. It solved the creak.

Cool idea ! ..did that add any firmness ? ...I ask as I've got an original Ace X and Os strap that has super thin leather ends and am wondering if this would help to add support ..as it is, I'd be afraid to use it with anything other than an acoustic

That is a soooo much better idea than what I was going to suggest (which was a fiberglass shirt)!

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    Cool idea ! ..did that add any firmness ? ...I ask as I've got an original Ace X and Os strap that has super thin leather ends and am wondering if this would help to add support ..as it is, I'd be afraid to use it with anything other than an acoustic
    It's soft felt, so not really much stiffer. The strap buttons are short on the Silvertone. Therefore it couldn't be much thicker. If your guitars can, then you might try the felt pads from a hardware store to stick on the bottom of things to not scratch surfaces. Those are stiffer. Just don't rely on the glue to hold up the guitar.

Good idea for the sheet of felt. Had once a leather strap that meleted the finish of my instrument. Never put your gutiar strapped in the case.
    Last edited by coldblood; 06-13-18 at 09:04 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

regardless of being in the case, many leather finishes will cause the nitro to peel right off.