• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic

Mats A

How is the 1999 Les Paul Classic? What’s the original pickups on it? Very yellowish inlays? Are these 1 or 2 piece Mahogany bodies? I got the chance to buy one of these.

Triplet

I think 2001 and earlier are the ones to get. After that they put on Nashville bridges and the body is anyone's guess...

deytookerjaabs

I used to have a black one from right around there that was near brand new....loved it, I'm not sure if they're weight relieved but is sounded like it. Nice acoustic thump, great sustain, and the pickups had some growl to them. Really, a wonderful guitar. It wasn't until the internet I read all the hate...bla bla bla. In b4 some knob can't help hisself "but bad tenin and neck no fatt" :rolleyes:

There's a cat here who's played on thousands of records and his favorite lester is a classic from back around then, great guitars.

Thundermtn

Pickups I think are 496R and 500T. They are Swiss cheesed, and seems like they had solid backs then, maybe not 100% all of them but have saw a lot of one piece backs. Inlays will be really yellow. You should play it and see what it's like, some of them were really nice players and sounded great if you can handle a 60's neck.

Mats A

Thanks!
It looks very nice on the pictures but it weighs 4.5 kg. I must say i’ve seen some of these with very yellow looking inlays and it looks real bad i think. They seem to glow even more yellow in light this hasn’t got the original pickus it’s got the 490R and 498T wich i like. I got them on my LP Custom. The seller lives far up north here in Sweden so i can’t try it.

32E8CF32-A500-4964-976E-0C218710FE18.jpg

1 or 2 piece back?

Chuck7

I actually just got one of these. I plan on replacing the hardware on it cause its all corroded. Does anyone know if a harmonica bridhe would fit on one of these? It doesnt look like theres room but i really like the look of those.

uncajoey

Classic inlays post 1992 are all snotty, but to varying degrees, independent of year. My 01 has just about the greenest I’ve seen, but the figuring (swirl) in the plastic is cool, so I’m leaving them in.

Texan

I had a 1999 and had to sell due to a layoff. It had a beautiful honeyburst finish and a slim 60's neck. Very heavy. The pickups were a bit too hot for my taste, but a beautiful piece of work!