• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Resonance and New CS LP under 8.5LBS

Telemon

Hello all, first post and also first purchase of a new CS LP.

An online shop advertising these new 2018 CS 1959 RI’s and showing weights from 7.5-8.5LBS.. Although my shoulder would appreciate at nights end a lighter LP, but will overall tone possibly suffer. whats Gibson using different to have them this light compared to a typical build, still using mahogany maple and rosewood ...

I’m used to 9lb+ Traditional Les Pauls and I’d sure be disappointed spending this much and taking a chance on a lighter 59RI only to find out once it arrives I wish I had ordered a heavier one.

Unfortunately the shop is 3000 miles away because I’d love to play them all to know for sure so ya it’s quite a gamble even having the shop owner say they all sound great but my concern is the possible loss of bottom end thump with a guitar light enough to be in Tele territory

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Can you return it? If you can't play it first you might find any example regardless of weight could possibly be "meh"...or not.

Not a whole lot of 2018's (though there are a few) that I've seen seem to be >9lbs even though plenty of 'bursts were, there's some myth among a portion of consumers that heavier guitars are a product of "cheap wood" so Custom sorts'em pretty light these days if you're looking for new.

If money were no thang I wouldn't hesitate to grab a 9.5 pound 2018 if it could be found.

Telemon

I’ll find out tomorrow about their return policy.

Two of the prettiest tops to my eye, according to their scales, weigh in at 7.5/8, then 2 others with slightly mismatched meh tops, 8/8,5.. hate to be anal about the look but hey it’s nice to drool over your investment.

Last edited:

renderit

My heaviest one is just under 9 pounds. My lightest is a 2014 R4 at well under 8. Tone for days. I think the weight makes little difference in whether it SOUNDS good. Heavier ones to me will stab you with phantastic tones, lighter ones waltz you with phantastic tones. If you like the stab, go heavy. You waltz go light. If you wanna waltz then stab looks to the center of them. Here are mine, heaviest to lightest. Each has it's sweet spot and played to it each sounds awesome.

BB4
36175746281_4ae8cf8b4b_k.jpg

R9
35662720323_5a2d418d05_k.jpg

R0
36073995080_4d62eebc2d_k.jpg

R7
36470084445_0878460de9_k.jpg

R8
36424627646_84837f9279_z.jpg

R6
36277908616_2ad5cc5448_k.jpg

R6
36301983182_5887584a76_k.jpg

R4
35474820634_05d9d5f476_k.jpg

R5
36152891202_e14296256e_k.jpg

R4
36311007455_7b6cf4dedf_k.jpg

renderit

And remember, many people (including some advertising on the web) interchange 8 pounds 5 ounces as 8.5 pounds.
In U.S. Measure:

8 pounds 8 ounces is 8.5 pounds.
8 pounds 5 ounces in more like 8.3 pounds.
8 pounds 15.9 ounces above is effectively 9 pounds.

rockabilly69

I currently own three custom shop Les Pauls, and their weights are...

2014 R7 8lbs 1 oz (Beautiful throat to the midrange on this one,and my favorite of the bunch)
2006 R0 8lbs 14oz (The most rockin' of the bunch, it's the one I play when I want the aggressive rock sound)
2004 R6 9lbs 10oz (I normally hate heavier guitars, but this one smokes with a great snap on the high end)

And guess what, they all sound great. Wood is wood and it's a crap shoot when it comes down to tone, but I've heard great ones in all weights. Just ask for liberal return policy.

LeonC

Here's a quick and (very) dirty clip of my 8lb collector's choice (from 2013). Big ass ain't no problem.

Telemon

Renderit, I would’ve replied sooner but I had to run for more towels to wipe the drool off my screen, what a gorgeous collection and thank you for the reveal !!

Im not much of the waltzing type and prefer to boogie woogie... primarily a hard driving rhythm player of the classic rock flavour with the occasional lead thrown into the mix. I especially love that big boomin Low e string, (and yes I have country roots but classic rock tone ima chasin) .... although the tune Memphis (Tennessee) is country, that ol tune comes to mind to use as reference for the tone I’m wanting this guitar for, along with a touch of the blues

Telemon

I currently own three custom shop Les Pauls, and their weights are...

2014 R7 8lbs 1 oz (Beautiful throat to the midrange on this one,and my favorite of the bunch)
2006 R0 8lbs 14oz (The most rockin' of the bunch, it's the one I play when I want the aggressive rock sound)
2004 R6 9lbs 10oz (I normally hate heavier guitars, but this one smokes with a great snap on the high end)

And guess what, they all sound great. Wood is wood and it's a crap shoot when it comes down to tone, but I've heard great ones in all weights. Just ask for liberal return policy.

makes sense although you’re not making this decision any easier :)

renderit

Renderit, I would’ve replied sooner but I had to run for more towels to wipe the drool off my screen, what a gorgeous collection and thank you for the reveal !!

Im not much of the waltzing type and prefer to boogie woogie... primarily a hard driving rhythm player of the classic rock flavour with the occasional lead thrown into the mix. I especially love that big boomin Low e string, (and yes I have country roots but classic rock tone ima chasin) .... although the tune Memphis (Tennessee) is country, that ol tune comes to mind to use as reference for the tone I’m wanting this guitar for, along with a touch of the blues

A different way of putting it would be: the lighter ones in my collection have more organic tones or (a term I hate) woodiness. The heavier ones are more 'in your face'. Either are entirely capable of playing hard rock with searing leads or soft melodies with beautiful tones. Their presentation of what you are doing is different. Think of it like a tweed versus a blackface. Both are fantastic. One is more colorful than the other but both are fantastic sounding in their own right.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Unless you are unlucky enough to get a tone turd. There apparently are some out there, but I have found very few. I REALLY doubt you will. Ask the salesman to play it and tell you how they like it. Then go from there.

37323295655_1157a9a7f3_k.jpg

Fan of LP

Not a whole lot of 2018's (though there are a few) that I've seen seem to be >9lbs even though plenty of 'bursts were, there's some myth among a portion of consumers that heavier guitars are a product of "cheap wood" so Custom sorts'em pretty light these days if you're looking for new.
On the cheap wood and sorting subject, I was actually quite surprised to see some Murphy painted/aged from Wildwood weighing over 9lbs.

Telemon

A different way of putting it would be: the lighter ones in my collection have more organic tones or (a term I hate) woodiness. The heavier ones are more 'in your face'. Either are entirely capable of playing hard rock with searing leads or soft melodies with beautiful tones. Their presentation of what you are doing is different. Think of it like a tweed versus a blackface. Both are fantastic. One is more colorful than the other but both are fantastic sounding in their own right.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Unless you are unlucky enough to get a tone turd. There apparently are some out there, but I have found very few. I REALLY doubt you will. Ask the salesman to play it and tell you how they like it. Then go from there.

organic ya haha, am I out in left field at the fence with the wrong handed glove on eating a ballpark frank sitting in a lawnchair with my Walkman on waiting for a ball to come my ball, but shouldn’t a decent LP be capable of while in neck position be capable of dripping soulful organic (oh how I love that term) orgasmic tones while at the same time while locked into the bridge position position peel the pain off a blondes face and yet marry in middle position to deliver yet another experience all together ??

Got together wifh with some friends yesterday who know I’m on this virginal journey for this upper crust level of LP’s and one of the guys had this 2016 R8. Keep in mind I’ve had many US production run Traditionals that I certainly prefer over Standards because of the chunkier neck profiles.... I got this R8 in my lap and immediately I couldn’t and can’t still believe how fat not chunky but a porker this beast was. Thankfully in my buddies garage he had the tools we were able to take measurements off the slob... .0965”@1rst & 1.050”@12th.. the Sow weighed in at 8lb 13.4oz..

Typically factory pickups of guitars I decide to keep live sheltered lives in my bench drawers but I must admit I was very impressed with the custom buckers, I’ve never cared for Gibson’s offerings of 57/57+ (post 2010) nor BB1/2 sorry but not impressed and nothing against people who dig em. I’ve played with people who’ve commented at jams, ya know you drive me crazy watching you tweak with your pickups between songs, don’t you think factories know what their doing before they send them out, he’ll ive never touched anything on mine and it’s 20yrs old haha my one friend told me one night.

I was able to play that R8 yesterday for close to an hour, and as fat as that neck profile is, juries out on whether or not I’d actually be able to get completely comfortable with it in time, I’d like to think I could but maybe just maybe smaller slightly thinner would/might suit me better.

I forgot to mention, the way and I’m talking acoustically here, the notes rang from this build is something I’ve never quite experienced and I have some, what I feel are quality instruments but just something about it, a very high end guitar... heard others comment and maybe their right because of a lesser quality CS LP that’s been a hound, these guitars aren’t worth the money but the one I played yesterday I now see why people fall in love with them and never look back because they are the next level up.