The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Practicing With Headphones

For those of you who practice with headphones or who have put together mini travel rigs for vacations and such, what are you using?

Right now Iíve got a Boss MS3 into a Quilter Tone Block 201 running into a Digitech CabDryVR into a Behringer 502 mixer. Itís very small and cost friendly. What Iíve noticed is that chords sound pretty good, but my leads sound very compressed and Ďlifeless.í

I know there have to be better solutions out there that will permit the headphones to sound more like the tone of my live rig. Iím just not sure where to go from here. Would love some advice.

Regards,

Jonathan

Re: Practicing With Headphones

I have 5000 different configurations but my most usual with headphones is:

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............(If I wish to play
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............WITH something
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....>Pre Sonus AudioBox>
    ----.....---...(usually Cali76 pedal).................................................... .................................................. ................-......................Computer )................
    --.----....-...|------------------...............---|.................................................. .................................................. ..........................|.............................................-........|
    Guitar ->|------------------------------↳Amp --|-------------------------↱ Two Notes Torpedo Live -->|---------------------------------↳ HEADPHONES!
    .................................................. ..............-.......................|.........................-...............|
    .................................................. ............................-.........(If amp speaker ...->|
    .................................................. ..............................................out is not 8 ohms
    .................................................. .................................................. ....then a
    .................................................. .........................................Weber Z-Matcher)

Last edited by renderit; 06-05-18 at 07:44 AM.

Headphones themselves make a big difference. Most modern headphones are designed for mp3 thru digital device. That means they are low frequency/ high frequency emphasized with the mids that just disappear. Try out studio headphones which are more balanced like AKG. Shure SRH440 are good relatively inexpensive choice. Those popular "B" headphone may get you fashion compliments, but are very low frequency heavy and you will not get the entire spectrum of your mix.
    Last edited by J T; 06-05-18 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling doh
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sennheiser wireless headphones. Paired with an AxeFX and a wireless rig I can be 200 yards away in the garden and rock out.
    The artist formerly known as "A-hole".

Quote Originally Posted by F-Hole View Post
    Sennheiser wireless headphones. Paired with an AxeFX and a wireless rig I can be 200 yards away in the garden and rock out.
    Yes no wire to trip over.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Headphones themselves make a big difference. Most modern headphones are designed for mp3 thru digital device. That means they are low frequency/ high frequency emphasized with the mids that just disappear. Try out studio headphones which are more balanced like AKG. Shure SRH440 are good relatively inexpensive choice. Those popular "B" headphone may get you fashion compliments, but are very low frequency heavy and you will not get the entire spectrum of your mix.
    +1. Just be sure to keep the impedance somewhat matched with your device (some studio headphones are much higher impedance, and require a headphone amp or matching transformer).
    2007 CR8
    2000 Elegant
    1953 J50

I used ear buds with a $100 Mustang I modeler which sounded amazing for what it was. It didn't work with studio headphones, though. Fractal models sound amazing with studio 'phones.

The Mustang sounded so good it was my prefered way to practice for quite a while.
    Last edited by mdubya; 06-09-18 at 04:15 AM.

To me practicing on vacation is like hitting the gym, I always say I will do it and never gets done past the first day . But for home practice when I need it to be quiet I use the Ox Box.

Practicing singing with a pair of headphones is a new thing for me. I have fond a pair of fake airpods on this website woahtech.com to try it. At the moment I have a pair of fake airpods but I still didn`t tried to practice. I tested my headphones and they sound good, have a good bass and the quality of the sound is ok. I had to choose from a lot of paird of fake airpods but chose those made by huawei. From the review that I read, these ones have the best overall quality. I love these headphones. Also, the review is really good. It helped me a lot to choose the right pair of headphones.
    Last edited by herpawearo; 08-07-20 at 09:11 AM.