• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

String rattling in tailpiece

Luca79

I have this annoying rattle on two strings of my R9, it's the strings that rattle inside the tailpiece.
I guess the ball retaining wrappings are touching the hole of the tailpiece on the front end (i.e. towards the bridge).

I have tried lower/higher tailpiece positions but it's more or less the same.
And I have also enlarged the holes drilling in the aluminum (made them oval-shaped), with no success.

This is making me crazy because the affected strings gets also kind of muted in the higher registers, I don't think it's a coincidence.

If I press with my hand against the strings between bridge and tailpiece, the buzz seems to go away.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Zentar

Are you sure it isn't the bridge doing the rattle? The ABR1 had a rep for rattling.

Luca79

It may be, but it’s difficult to tell.
The bridge is Faber with their locking system, it looks like a well made piece.

Zentar

Sounds like you modded your guitar.
Do you have the 59 style ABR1 bridge with the wire?
There isn't a lot on the tail piece that can rattle

Luca79

Tonight I re-installed the stock heavy tailpiece and there is less rattle.
But b string sounds chocked in the higher registers, with little sustain.
The guitar was just refretted and is well set up.

I think it’s the bridge, at this point.

Going crazy!

Arnold M.

I have this annoying rattle on two strings of my R9, it's the strings that rattle inside the tailpiece.
I guess the ball retaining wrappings are touching the hole of the tailpiece on the front end (i.e. towards the bridge).

I have tried lower/higher tailpiece positions but it's more or less the same.
And I have also enlarged the holes drilling in the aluminum (made them oval-shaped), with no success.

This is making me crazy because the affected strings gets also kind of muted in the higher registers, I don't think it's a coincidence.

If I press with my hand against the strings between bridge and tailpiece, the buzz seems to go away.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I have the same problem, I swapped the standard TH tailpiece for a DMC tailpiece and the rattling of the three treble strings was totally out of control, I have tried everything and the only solution so far has been to jack the tailpiece up real high.. can't find the source of the problem

Black58

Tonight I re-installed the stock heavy tailpiece and there is less rattle.
But b string sounds chocked in the higher registers, with little sustain.
The guitar was just refretted and is well set up.

I think it’s the bridge, at this point.

Going crazy!

Not for nothing, but it sounds to me like the frets aren't completely level, up top.

gmann

I've had the screw in saddle on several ABR's rattle, I've had it happen on a Faber as well. A very small dab of clear nail polish solved that.

Black58

I've had the screw in saddle on several ABR's rattle, I've had it happen on a Faber as well. A very small dab of clear nail polish solved that.

Ditto, that. .. I've even had an actual saddle rattle, at certain frequencies, from OTHER strings! That, ended up being the saddle not seating correctly because of a bent screw!