• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Traditional...Favorite Year?

jbear

It seems like keeping up with the changes of these guitars is like blowing over Giant Steps at 300 pm! I have 2 2012's that are just perfect for me. Actually one is a Trad Pro, but I swapped out the tuners for TP Klusons, and I don't really need all of the splitting options, so all-in-all...I prefer a straight Traditional. I'm thinking of trading for another, since I've got plenty of guitars...some never get airtime. Here's what I don't want...
-A goofy inlay at 12.
-A zero fret nut
-A black or metal nut.
-Robot f-ing tuners
-Grovers
-Missing poker chip.
-100 switching options.
-To mod/parts swap
I think that eliminates 2014, 15, 17, and 18? Obviously, I'm looking for the vintage vibe and nothing "modern," but conversely...I'm an open-minded person.
What do you like?
What do you think I would like?
Just looking for an interesting discussion here.

captainvideo

I had a 2013 that had the neck like an R8. Was fantastic. Also had a one piece fretboard where as I heard the 2012s had two piece boards. I'd go with 2013.

jbear

Some 12's had the multi-lam boards...can't tell which. I'll say this, I wouldn't dump mine if I found out they had them. Right now 2013 is looking like a good target for me.

captainvideo

Some 12's had the multi-lam boards...can't tell which. I'll say this, I wouldn't dump mine if I found out they had them. Right now 2013 is looking like a good target for me.

I had 2 Trads a 2013 and a 2016. As much as I loved that 2013. I sold them both for an R8. Don't count those out.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
When I found mine I was seeing a lot of really nice tops on 2012s

Mine is a 2012 that I have modified the crap out of by recarving the top, new faded burst, all nickle hardware including DMC covers. Vintage TRC, vitagee style knobs, etc.
The wood sounds great and the neck feels very much like a '59.

here's a thread about it:
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...-Makeover-quot&highlight=traditional+makeover

trad_changes.jpg

JimFog

My 2013 is one of the finest guitars I've ever played.......no matter the price range. My buddy is a Lester nut with some of the finest tricked-out specimens of R9, R8 and other big $$$ models, and my Trad is right there with them.

Beautiful fat 59 neck......8.6lbs, with no weight relief.

I've played a couple other 13's, and they were all quality.

RicOkc

Like Jbear said "not all 2012's had a layered fretboard".

My 2012 was a solid fretboard.

You can call Gibson with the serial number and ask, they'll tell you if it's layered or not.

Kutt

Like Jbear said "not all 2012's had a layered fretboard".

My 2012 was a solid fretboard.

You can call Gibson with the serial number and ask, they'll tell you if it's layered or not.

The bi-layered fretboards began some time in late August of 2011 and coincides with the whole raid by federal marshals. If you're looking to avoid them (the bi-layered fretboards, not the marshals), avoid anything from the second half of 2011. I'm not sure when they reverted back to single piece but it sounds like it was some time in 2012. Unfortunately the only way to really know is to take the nut off and view the wood.

My two Traditionals are from 2008 when the model was first released. I got a couple good ones, luckily. One I rolled the dice and mail ordered, the other I found in person.

Last edited:

Zeusman

I had a 2013 and regret selling it tremendously. I’ve played a few from different years and the 13’s were definitely a cut above.