• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2014 Gibson R9 Fretboard Markings

riscado

Hi guys, quick question. I recently sold a nice 2014 R9 and the new owner pointed out that there are some fretboard markings around the first fret.

I'd never really noticed them, but they are there. I have no recollection of ever using a capo on this guitar, in fact the whole guitar was quite well taken care of. Also the markings seem to me like file markings. So out of curiosity I'm wondering whether any of you guys have seen anything like this on custom shop guitars. Personally to me it kind of looks like it left the factory like this and someone went a little overboard while trying to smooth out a rough edge on the binding or something.

Here's the photo it's barely visible, but you can see what looks like file marks on the high E string side, first fret.

IMG_4557.jpg

Any ideas?

J.D.

Yep, very typical production marks. Smooth out with some fine sandpaper or nail file.

riscado

Thanks guys, I suspected so. The markings don't particularly bother me, but on a guitar this expensive, it's rather unprofessional from Gibson.

Arnold M.

I have some of those on my TH fingerboard, doesn't bother me at all, I am done with worrying about perfection

J.D.

Thanks guys, I suspected so. The markings don't particularly bother me, but on a guitar this expensive, it's rather unprofessional from Gibson.

+1 this pricing (unless aged model) these guitars should not have these sorts of marks

MeHereNow

I cherish these imperfections.
It shows that the guitar was touched by humans and can display signs of tooling and crafting by hand.

DANELECTRO

Some people just look too at guitars closely. That looks like a very minor flaw to me and not the kind of thing I would bat an eye over (actually I had to study the photo to see what you were talking about). I’ve bought several brand new Historics that had cosmetic flaws at least as serious as the subject flaw, and I blew them off. The thing is, once I pick up a good Les Paul and start playing, cosmetic flaws are the last thing on my mind.

AA00475Bassman

It seems all my Historics have some simple Imperfection , although my aged Historic guitars are perfect from the factory !

I play my guitars they have nicks dents I'm not saving these for the next guy !

Mars Hall

I do believe you will find similar markings on original Bursts too.

riscado

Cool guys, thanks for letting me know. As I've said, I had the guitar since 2014 and it's not an issue for me, but I wanted to address the new owner's concerns, which I feel are valid.

Thanks

Progrocker111

It seems all my Historics have some simple Imperfection

Yes, im still on search after THE ONE without even small imperfections, but still havent found one... :) Paradoxically some of the best ones were 69 or some very early 70s LP Customs (only in 1969-1971 timespan).

AA00475Bassman

Yes, im still on search after THE ONE without even small imperfections, but still havent found one... :) Paradoxically some of the best ones were 69 or some very early 70s LP Customs (only in 1969-1971 timespan).

Progrocker I bought 2 USA production guitars this month A antique natural Explorer & 57 single cut Banner Les Paul JR both guitars are Imperfection free as Ive seen in 40+ years of buying Gibsons . I can not say the same for my Custom shop guitars !

Fan of LP

I've seen those marks and even worse marks/details on several brand new guitars from the Custom Shop. You will (usually) hear voices from 2 sides: "adds character" and "at that price they should be perfect". I'm somewhere in between, I guess. It all depends on the flaw. In this case, I think it's not that bad, and the new owner should be able to live with it, especially knowing that it's not there because you hit the fretboard against something, but because that's just the way the Custom Shop employees finished the guitar. Good luck!