• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Customs and Goldtops

Progrocker111

Mid 69s until 74 Customs for example are in the same weight range. In fact i played many 73 and 74 Customs which were lighter than some of mid to late 69s...

AA00475Bassman

The truth detector dimed out on the GLUE theory , for one I know glue did not make much or any weight difference . Wood was the culprit !

El Gringo

Mid 69s until 74 Customs for example are in the same weight range. In fact i played many 73 and 74 Customs which were lighter than some of mid to late 69s...
I have a question about the original reissues from 68-mid to late 70's . I see a lot of LPC from this era without pickup covers and some with Nashville TOM's .Did Gibson ever during this era sell LPC without pickup covers ? When if at all did Gibson switch to the Nashville TOM from the ABR ?

moonweasel

What's the neck size/shape on this bad boy?

Necks of both scanned from originals. I can't wait to try one to see how close they are. Remember, the original varied a lot, so it's always a compromise. :)

I have a question about the original reissues from 68-mid to late 70's . I see a lot of LPC from this era without pickup covers and some with Nashville TOM's .Did Gibson ever during this era sell LPC without pickup covers ? When if at all did Gibson switch to the Nashville TOM from the ABR ?

They did not sell LPC's without covers. I believe the TOM started 77 ish? Someone wiser will chime in.

moonweasel

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

So, hey, someone from the Custom Shop reached out to me (cool!!!) to say that the 50th Anniversary 68 LPC's will in fact be shipping with the tall M-69 reproduction rings. Only the first few snuck out with the mid-height rings. They will be supplying tall rings for those guitars to be retrofitted later.

mrfett

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

So, hey, someone from the Custom Shop reached out to me (cool!!!) to say that the 50th Anniversary 68 LPC's will in fact be shipping with the tall M-69 reproduction rings. Only the first few snuck out with the mid-height rings. They will be supplying tall rings for those guitars to be retrofitted later.

Wow. How interesting... this is very cool. I wonder what the finish will be like? If it's a thin finish these are pretty much TH spec no? Excited to get one.

El Gringo

Necks of both scanned from originals. I can't wait to try one to see how close they are. Remember, the original varied a lot, so it's always a compromise. :)

They did not sell LPC's without covers. I believe the TOM started 77 ish? Someone wiser will chime in.
Thank you for the info . The reason I asked was because I check the ads on Reverb and see so many 70's LPC without covers and I was curious where are the covers? and I do know that back in the 70's there was an infatuation with removing covers because maybe that would improve the tone (talk about nothing ) because to me they just don't look right without covers .May I ask why did Gibson start using the Nashville TOM ? Was it supposed to be an improvement in intonation or tuning ? I seem to remember something in Gibson's (Norlin ) literature that mentioned something about increased sustain ?

Bruce R

May I ask why did Gibson start using the Nashville TOM ? Was it supposed to be an improvement in intonation or tuning ? I seem to remember something in Gibson's (Norlin ) literature that mentioned something about increased sustain ?

I always assumed it was because they offered more travel for the saddles. Hmmmm..

moonweasel

Thank you for the info . The reason I asked was because I check the ads on Reverb and see so many 70's LPC without covers and I was curious where are the covers? and I do know that back in the 70's there was an infatuation with removing covers because maybe that would improve the tone (talk about nothing ) because to me they just don't look right without covers .May I ask why did Gibson start using the Nashville TOM ? Was it supposed to be an improvement in intonation or tuning ? I seem to remember something in Gibson's (Norlin ) literature that mentioned something about increased sustain ?

I always assumed it was because they offered more travel for the saddles. Hmmmm..

Not basing this on any facts, but I always thought it was a combination of longer saddle movement range AND the fact that ABR's cave in over time.

turboLp

Necks of both scanned from originals.

Of course they are, but that doesn't really tell me much as Gibson necks seem to have always been all over the place.

@Scott L, since you already own the guitar, can you chime in on this please?

Progrocker111

No, they were never sold without covers.

Nashville TOM bridge first occured in mid to late 75. But Some late 75s/even early 76s still had ABRs (Kalamazoo production).

But all 75 and later Nashville production had Nashville bridges.

El Gringo

No, they were never sold without covers.

Nashville TOM bridge first occured in mid to late 75. But Some late 75s/even early 76s still had ABRs (Kalamazoo production).

But all 75 and later Nashville production had Nashville bridges.
Thank you for the information .

martie6621

these are in shops now - anyone have one of the Goldtops yet? Is it only a small run of 68 pieces?

zombiwoof

these are in shops now - anyone have one of the Goldtops yet? Is it only a small run of 68 pieces?

I'd like to hear about those too. I'm wondering if they all have that overdone (IMO) relic job the pic shows in the original announcement. To me, that's the only deal killer. The Customs look much better to me, seems like an odd finish choice for the GT.
Al

Bruce R

Yes, total overkill to thrash and reissue a guitar just because an employee happened to own one like that. Barry Bailey's Deluxe is pretty "worn" as well, but not as bad as this Reissue looks. Makes yet another point to just buy a '56 Reissue Goldtop if you long for a '68 Goldtop.

I don't get the '68 Custom reissue either - they already did that. I guess I'll just go and play my "1960" VOS Les Paul Special until I understand these things.

marshall1987

Have to agree with the other posters regarding the ghastly overkill aging job on the reissue 1968 Les Paul gold top. WTF was Gibson thinking? This could have been a nice '68 reissue, but Gibson ruined it with that sad aging job. Initially I was intrigued, but after seeing a few sample photos, I have changed my mind. The vintage style yellow lined case would have been pretty nice, but.......:dang

martie6621

I have seen some old LPs (Snowy White's or Peter Greens as examples) that have this much aging. And lest we forget - everyone's all time Les Paul relic job, the Gary Rossington LP which has a ton of relicing and a chewed up back of the neck wear.
Just sayin......