• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J.D. Simo demonstrating how the out of phase sound is supposed to sound!!!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Enjoy!:jim

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CPRit0Ed1Mc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YnZvh3_4y_g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

springhead

Fabulous playing, thanks for posting that. What a version of Sweet Little Angel!

Please tell him to come and do some gigs in the UK again, it's been too long.

blewsbreaker

Tasty!
Was his guitar wired out of phase from the factory or did he flip one of the magnets?

Shakey

Tasty!
Was his guitar wired out of phase from the factory or did he flip one of the magnets?

He had Joe Glazer put in a push pull pot to reverse the phase of one of the pickups.

As an aside does anyone know why Elad isn't playing with the band anymore?

TM1

Geez, have a little Reverb... Oye, way too much for my listening pleasure..

mistersnappy

Yeah! Reminds me of when I saw him in Dallas a few years back. He had either his regular 335 Red or a borrowed 345 thru a Traynor and did "Whats On Your Mind" (slow blues) and it was a class in '60s BB King tones. My fave part of the show. :dude::dude:

deytookerjaabs

Perfect, nailed it, no other way to put it..syncopation, ideas, phrases, with an emphasis on the upbeat....that's how you play proper early style electric blues IMO.

Stephens

That sounds great! I’d like to try that push/pull mod on one of my hollow-bodies.

joeh77

As always, great phrasing, tone, vocabulary, and emotion from JD!

El Gringo

Charlie, Thanks for posting that . J.D. could arguably be the BEST guitar slinger today .

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
I like the reverb! I like his tone through the Fender amps too. While he sounded great with his Marshall, to my ear the Fender adds a beautiful sweetness that I really like. It is especially refreshing to hear humbucking pickups through the low and mid powered blackface circuits. Those amps were omnipresent in the USA music scene in the 1960's and then again in late 1980's - 1990's blues scene, but then usually with single coil guitar pickups.
Now we just need to get the other two gents onstage into 1960's styled suits and ties... :jim
Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome JD Simo and the AB763's :dude:

Buckaroo

Last edited:

RocknRollShakeUp

very cool.. I also like his tone with the Fenders, including the Reverb..there is a passion behind those notes that is very authentic too

mdubya

Charlie, Thanks for posting that . J.D. could arguably be the BEST guitar slinger today .

I'd like to see JD and Eric Gales jam together sometime. Eric is right off the deep end of outer space. I think JD has the talent and versatility to follow. I think Jared Nichols is headed that way too. :peace2

Dimitri92

As an aside does anyone know why Elad isn't playing with the band anymore?

A shame aint it? To make it even more interesting, I spotted a new tour schedule on facebook calling the band 'JD Simo & his trio'.
I wonder whats going on there.. Nothing against the new guy, but Elad was way cooler imo

mdubya

A shame aint it? To make it even more interesting, I spotted a new tour schedule on facebook calling the band 'JD Simo & his trio'.
I wonder whats going on there.. Nothing against the new guy, but Elad was way cooler imo

I agree. It is tough to make a living as a 'band' though.

Elad was great. The new guy is good, too. Adam is the cornerstone of the band and a freaking superstar drummer. I hope he is still around.

Wally

Geez, have a little Reverb... Oye, way too much for my listening pleasure..

I agree...especially on the first cut with those aggressive chord slaps at the beginning. I shut that one down immediately. That is the first time I have not listened to all of a Simo cut.

Shakey

I've seen a couple of recent video's with a different bassist playing an upright bass so who know's whats going on. Also the "& his trio" makes it sound like they've added an extra dude to the band for the next tour i.e. JD and 3 other guys so that would be pretty cool organ player maybe?

mdubya

Here's a recent video of JD where he sort of explains what is going on.

Sounds like Adam Abrashoff is still in, but nothing confirmed.