• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fralin Pure PAF's vs Gibson Custombuckers

michaeljames

Fralin Pure PAF's vs Gibson Custombuckers in R0

Thinking of taking the Custombuckers (not burstbuckers) out of a 2014 R0 and installing Lindy's Pure Paf's.
Your thoughts and/or experience with these 2 pickups?

Last edited:

Nick-O

I have had the Fralins and they are super under rated. I swapped them out after a good amount of time simply because I got some Rolph 59's and at the time had no other guitar to use the Rolphs. The Rolphs are great, but I should have kept the Fralins for another time. Much better than so many I have had before and since.

Last edited:

Jazzfinger

Fralin always seems to get dismissed. Especially for PAF but his are nice. A cut above the Gibson in my opinion. One the better sets Ive played in the price range are the Tone Specific Blues pickups. You also can't go wrong with the Ron Ellis or Virgil Arlo pickups. I think the Arlo's are top-notch but they are a bit on the expensive side.

Phoenician

Bump.

I don’t know that I’d replace Custombuckers but Fralin Pure PAFs seem like a great pickup from what I’ve heard.

Cranknfrank

I have Custom Buckers in my R9 and Fralin Pure PAF's in my 335. They could not be more different. They are both great but do different things. The Pure PAF's are really clean and clear. Lindy has a video out there where he says that he wanted to design a really clear PAF-style pickup. It's exactly as advertised. The CB's in my R9 have more spank and sting. Each of my guitars has its own thing tonally - love them both. Hope that helps.

Vics53

Earlier today I was wondering about Fralins. Was looking into the pure PAF's with the 7.5 neck and the 8.4 bridge. Or maybe the 9.0 Modern PAF bridge with the pure PAF 7.5 neck. Looking for a set where the neck pickup doesn't have that muddy, droney and boomey quality. Seems like some neck pickups are boomey to the point of making the bridge pickup wound weak in output.

El Gringo

I wonder what after market pickup is the most like a Custombucker.
Why ? (vanilla , dull, weak , devoid of any seasoning or spice ) ( I forgot Weak ) (also A3 magnets really ? ) (the custombuckers are like hospital food as in bland and unsalted and no spice or zest )

Phoenician

Why ? (vanilla , dull, weak , devoid of any seasoning or spice ) ( I forgot Weak ) (also A3 magnets really ? ) (the custombuckers are like hospital food as in bland and unsalted and no spice or zest )
I love my Custombuckers and they sound fantastic in my Les Pauls and a 335. But you can’t buy them a replacement pickups. They only come with a Custom Shop guitar.

Just curious if anyone is making a pickup that is produced which is very close to a Custombucker.

El Gringo

I love my Custombuckers and they sound fantastic in my Les Pauls and a 335. But you can’t buy them a replacement pickups. They only come with a Custom Shop guitar.

Just curious if anyone is making a pickup that is produced which is very close to a Custombucker.
CreamTone had a set with A3 Magnets that I believe were there version of the Custombuckers , which were on there website . As I just looked for them on there site they are not there . As always tone is subjective to ones ears and tastes and I favor ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups with A5 magnets , wax potted as I play thru a pair of high gain Marshall 2555X's -www.throbak.com Best Wishes !