• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Classic Rock Fatigue

dalezjc

Yup, Classic Rock radio killed Bob Seger for me. Used to love the guy, but not any more!

Dale

johnnyslim

I do not play any classic rock radio in the Jeep. I have a radio at my desk at the office and it will only get one station...classic rock. For any "run of the mill" classic rock radio station, I own their entire playlist in either album or CD. There is a local college station WITR that plays some rather good music by many unknown artists. This weekend I heard a song with some great guitar playing. Got out and back in the car and missed the band name but heard the song was from the 2003 live recording "You Should Have Been There"...it was Kim Simmonds and Savoy Brown. Stupid great stuff!

Mars Hall

A welcomed reprieve in the Chicago radio market. A newer station playing only "classic album sides", commercial free, 95.1 The Hound. The down side is it's a weak signal.

Xpensive Wino

"Recent" doesn't = "good", in my experience.

Nor does "old".

If you're relying on an outmoded delivery system (FM radio) to feed you free music, you may be disappointed.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
I would love to hear that in Stop n Shop.

I miss the good ol' days of Muzak -- it made rock feel a bit more special knowing you had to search it out a bit, rather than being immersed in it during a shopping excursion to the local supermarket, hardware store, etc.

If you're relying on an outmoded delivery system (FM radio) to feed you free music, you may be disappointed.

Amen. While some of the Sirius-XM channels have playlist issues, the combined scope of all the channels allows for so much more variety than whatever the three local classic rock stations are playing on FM.

Doc Sausage

I can remember a good friend of mine and having this TOTAL burnout conversation about 70’s AOR radio. And this was by the mid 1980’s! Thirty plus years on, there are things I still can’t stand. But...I also just started a thread about The Cars so...if you put it down long enough, the good stuff can come back around for you.

cincyguitar

Everytime time I turn on car radio and hear More Than A feeling....I wanna smash my radio!!!:dude::laugh2:

Dave P

I got burned out with the classic rock format years ago. How many times can a person listen to the same Led Zeppelin songs, Clapton, Kiss, etc...?

workerunit

Any song by Aerosmith..

I had my alarm clock set to a Classic Rock Station.... I just could not take it anymore...

So I set it to a Modern Country station, yes it sucks. But at least I have not heard the same songs literally a thousand times before...

LeonC

Agree..I'm really sick of that material. I stopped listening to classic rock years ago...but I've continued playing it....why? Inertia is the only reason I can come up with. Plus, if you like the people you're playing with, you don't want to give it up. But I had to give up on my classic rock cover band. No one else appeared to be as tired of playing that stuff as I was. And much of it was really great, ground-breaking, extremely creative music...I'm just tired of playing it on a regular basis.

I'm in a r&b band with a horn section...covering a lot of other old, rootsy music...but not the "classic rock" stuff. We're covering acts like Sam & Dave, Sly & the Family Stone, Earth Wind & Fire, Otis Redding, ToP, The Isley Brothers, the Temps, Marvin Gaye, etc., etc. You don't hear bands around here playing this stuff. It's an ironically refreshing change for me!

J T

NPR just did a story about "Songs We Should Retire". Their take on songs that are pure genius and classic that are in the category of "Do we really need to her these songs again?"

Maybe they are right. Were these songs just perfection the first time around?

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
Jeff Buckley - Hallejulah
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over the Rainbow
John Lennon - Imagine
The Beatles - Yesterday
Pharrell - Happy
Don McLean - American Pie
Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
The Eagles - Hotel California
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

"Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? Does Pharrell's "Happy" still make us happy, or should we, as Stephen Thompson suggests, cryogenically freeze it so we never have to hear it again in our lifetimes? - NPR

They actually had a poll you could vote to add a song you think should be retired.

Last edited:

Texas Blues

NPR just did a story about "Songs We Should Retire". Their take on songs that are pure genius and classic that are in the category of "Do we really need to her these songs again?"

Maybe they are right. Were these songs just perfection the first time around?

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
Jeff Buckley - Hallejulah
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over the Rainbow
John Lennon - Imagine
The Beatles - Yesterday
Pharrell - Happy
Don McLean - American Pie
Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
The Eagles - Hotel California
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

"Should "American Pie" be put out to pasture? Has John Lennon's "Imagine" been imagined one too many times? Does Pharrell's "Happy" still make us happy, or should we, as Stephen Thompson suggests, cryogenically freeze it so we never have to hear it again in our lifetimes? - NPR

They actually had a poll you could vote to add a song you think should be retired.

Screw those guys.

No Mustang Sally on the list.

Just try and retire this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O24AipZ-buQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

marshall1987

With a few exceptions, I enjoy listening to most of the late '60s to '70s Classic Rock. During this period, most of the national and international level rock bands that put out more than 1-2 LPs, and had lucrative recording contracts, were very good. You had to be good to have your songs played on the radio. Doesn't cause me an fatigue at all.

Foggy72

With a few exceptions, I enjoy listening to most of the late '60s to '70s Classic Rock. During this period, most of the national and international level rock bands that put out more than 1-2 LPs, and had lucrative recording contracts, were very good. You had to be good to have your songs played on the radio. Doesn't cause me any fatigue at all.

It's not Classic Rock, per se, that is tiresome to listen to. It's the fact they took 40 years of music and boiled it down to a list of 200 songs or so. And that's what you get to hear. Everywhere. This is both stupid and lazy. This saves all those Gen XY Dj's from actually needing any musical knowledge. The guys in the 60's and 70's had that knowledge because they loved and respected good music.

becks bolero

It's not Classic Rock, per se, that is tiresome to listen to. It's the fact they took 40 years of music and boiled it down to a list of 200 songs or so. And that's what you get to hear. Everywhere. This is both stupid and lazy. This saves all those Gen XY Dj's from actually needing any musical knowledge. The guys in the 60's and 70's had that knowledge because they loved and respected good music.

+1

all those classic rock radio stations SUCK DONKEY BALLS

( it may as well be the same station, since they are all owned by the same conglomerates? )

they could be reclaiming listeners, if they only let DJ's to compile their own playlists & make it more interesting. you know, like DJ's used to do?

now all they do is fill the airwaves with meaningless blabber in between songs. it must drive them crazy

how many albums did Rick Derringer release? All I've ever heard played is that one song he did with J Winter

they are killing all those great songs, by playing them over and over and over and over....

no wonder everyone is fleeing to streaming services. I hope they all go out of business, they deserve it

Black58

Also, you would think it would be at least a little better on the long, holiday weekends .. when they run those long, sometimes commercial-free, countdowns. .. uh, NO! .. They still manage to string 1200 pieces of shit together, like a rabbit eating fishing line laced with Metamucil! :rolleyes:

Cliff Gress

Glad I'm old enough to remember early FM rock formats. Joanie Mitchell in the AM and Mountain in the PM.

It was good.

If I like a song once, I'll love it thousands of times. I'm a hits guy. You won't find me searching for deep tracks too often. I love classic rock radio. Classic rock is my favorite and IMO is the best music.

For me if I love a song I will listen to it again and again and again. Sometimes in the same day. So there is no case of a song I liked and got burned out on. If I don't play a song now it's because I don't like it and never did before.

Black58

If I like a song once, I'll love it thousands of times. I'm a hits guy. You won't find me searching for deep tracks too often. I love classic rock radio. Classic rock is my favorite and IMO is the best music.

For me if I love a song I will listen to it again and again and again. Sometimes in the same day. So there is no case of a song I liked and got burned out on. If I don't play a song now it's because I don't like it and never did before.

You need to write this down and put it away in a safe place; And in another 20-30 years, take it out and reread it. :ganz