• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dutchburst Neck Thickness

Tonester

Hello All - I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any info on what the measurements are (at the 1st/12th fret) for the Dutchburst. I know it's a 60's slim, but the question is how slim. I'm very much interested in finding a CC with a V2 (or slightly thinner) type neck. Also, not many CC 60's, so I'm assuming that's about my only choice.

Thanks!

DutchRay

I tried to measure mine (and photograph it, at which I miserably failed), it looks like a hair under 2cm.

20180531_2144261.jpg

vintage58

I'm very much interested in finding a CC with a V2 (or slightly thinner) type neck. Also, not many CC 60's, so I'm assuming that's about my only choice.
You might also want to consider an aged Joe Walsh 1960 reissue. It's not a Collector's Choice guitar, I think it was instead just a limited-run signature model. Anyway, as a person whose overall Les Paul neck philosophy is "The thinner, the better," I can say that the Joe Walsh aged example that I tried had the best-feeling Les Paul reissue neck that I've encountered in a while. As I recall, I tried it out back-to-back against a Dutchburst, a Montrose CC, and the second Allman signature reissue (and possibly one other CC guitar), and the aged Walsh reissue had what I thought was far and away the best-feeling neck of the bunch.

Tonester

Thank you both so much.

DutchRay - That is tough to measure without a calipar. I'll keep trying to trying to find info.

Vintage58 - Thanks for the recommendations! I will research Joe Walsh aged LP. Hopefully, it will be easier to find than a Dutchburst.

Regards,

Anthonyt

Todd68

You might also want to consider an aged Joe Walsh 1960 reissue. It's not a Collector's Choice guitar, I think it was instead just a limited-run signature model. Anyway, as a person whose overall Les Paul neck philosophy is "The thinner, the better," I can say that the Joe Walsh aged example that I tried had the best-feeling Les Paul reissue neck that I've encountered in a while. As I recall, I tried it out back-to-back against a Dutchburst, a Montrose CC, and the second Allman signature reissue (and possibly one other CC guitar), and the aged Walsh reissue had what I thought was far and away the best-feeling neck of the bunch.

I have had both the Dutchburst (had two different ones) and an aged Walsh. The Dutchburst is rounder than the Walsh which is flatter and somewhat like a RI SG I had. I agree with Vintage58. The Walsh neck is fantastic and is easily the best '60 style neck I've ever had/played on a LP. I had a Montrose and a VOS Allman too (as mentioned by Vintage 58). Back to '60s profiles. Walsh all the way. However, the smallest neck I've had on a LP was the Custom Authentic Jimmy Page.

samsdad

I have had both the Dutchburst (had two different ones) and an aged Walsh. The Dutchburst is rounder than the Walsh which is flatter and somewhat like a RI SG I had. I agree with Vintage58. The Walsh neck is fantastic and is easily the best '60 style neck I've ever had/played on a LP. I had a Montrose and a VOS Allman too (as mentioned by Vintage 58). Back to '60s profiles. Walsh all the way. However, the smallest neck I've had on a LP was the Custom Authentic Jimmy Page.

The 2013 Joe Walsh Custom Shop Came in 3 models 125-VOS,75-Aged,50-Signed by Joe back of headstock
There are not many around for sale The Walsh neck all models is a perfect 60 V3 Neck and has a great Feel
The Dutchburst is beefier definitely rounder The Walsh Is The way to go and it has special wound custom buckers
a great guitar all around and came with a Dark Rosewood Fretboard 8.0 first fret 8.6 12th fret never Felt Another
60 Les paul Reissue Like it in its own League

Tonester

Thanks again, guys. I'm not too crazy about the flat necks. Would prefer a V2 or similar to my 2003 standard, which is rounded but not fat. Therefore, a Dutchburst would be the way to go, as far as my quest for a CC. Now I'm just waiting for one to sell.. What about Waddy Watchel #14? Is that a V2 or flat? Hard to believe Gibson doesn't make many CC's with V2 necks.

Thank you!

Last edited:

samsdad

Thanks again, guys. I'm not too crazy about the flat necks. Would prefer a V2 or similar to my 2003 standard, which is rounded but not fat. Therefore, a Dutchburst would be the way to go, as far as my quest for a CC. Now I'm just waiting for one to sell.. What about Waddy Watchel #14? Is that a V2 or flat? Hard to believe Gibson doesn't make many CC's with V2 necks.

Thank you!
The Waddy Watchel Model has a V3 neck
Jeff Hanna 60 Model Has a V2 Neck
There are a couple Dutchbursts for sale in the Netherlands
For retail Around $8000.00 which is Full price i believe
on a 5 year old guitar

1jamman

Here ......

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...tor-s-Choice-18-1960-Les-Paul-Dutchburst.aspx

Gibson's listing for the Dutchburst . It states it has a V3 neck ...So , it may not be the 1 you're looking for, if a V2 is your preference .... Depth and shape are the differences between the 2 versions (really, there are 3 versions for the R0) .... Never go by depth alone .... shape can play a huge part in how it feels in hand .

I played a Walsh(VOS version) once ...IMO that guitar had a V3 neck . Loved it and was 1 of the few I've ever considered buying ,on the spot ,as it played that good ....Could get past the color of the stain ...
It was gone the next day ... Returned the next week , But no longer in "new" condition . Except the price .

Tonester

Guys - Thanks so much for the info. It's hard for me to play any of these instruments, so I'm solely dependent on your feedback. Doesn't look like a CC is in the cards for me, at least not at this time since there are so little options - and the Hanna model is running 9K+, so forget that option. I'll just continue looking for that elusive Les Paul, and have fun playing as many as I can.

Cheers!

samsdad

Guys - Thanks so much for the info. It's hard for me to play any of these instruments, so I'm solely dependent on your feedback. Doesn't look like a CC is in the cards for me, at least not at this time since there are so little options - and the Hanna model is running 9K+, so forget that option. I'll just continue looking for that elusive Les Paul, and have fun playing as many as I can.

Cheers!
don't give up so easy
Keep your eyes open and check daily
On Reverb And E bay Maybe G Base
You will find a deal and price that you can live with
There Always just around the corner also
Maybe you could get a price on a made to measure
with the specs and color you like

Tonester

Made to Measure is a great point! Will broaden my search to include.

I'll certainly keep looking, and definitely visit one of the sponsor guitar stores in the near future.

Thank you!!

LeonC

I have a Waddy Wachtel CC14. So to the extent that it's the same carve as the Dutchburst (theoretically, it is), this might be helpful. I also have a 2008 LP Classic 1960, an original '68/69 Les Paul Custom and an original '61 ES-335. The CC14 and the LP Classic's tapers are damn near identical:

LP CC14 - 0.803 at first fret. 0.928 at 12th.

The '61 ES-335's neck is MUCH thinner! 0.77 at first fret and .848 at 12th fret!!!

The '68/69 LP Custom taper goes from 0.89 at first fret to 0.995 at 12th -- damn near identical to a number of the '59 Collector's Choice guitars, FWIW.

The CC14 does not feel all that flat to me. Compared to my LPC or a '59 reissue, sure it is not as chunky but it doesn't have the real flat back or boxy sides I often associate with slim tapers. I like it quite a bit. BTW, it's a wee bit narrower at the 12th fret than my '08 Classic (2.077" compared to 2.10").

Hope this is helpful.

LeonC

The Waddy Watchel Model has a V3 neck
Jeff Hanna 60 Model Has a V2 Neck
There are a couple Dutchbursts for sale in the Netherlands
For retail Around $8000.00 which is Full price i believe
on a 5 year old guitar

Actually...in their spec, Gibson says that the Jeff Hanna model uses the thinner 60s carve:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec.../CC-33-Jeff-Hanna-1960-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Profile: 1960 Les Paul
Thickness at Fret 1: 2.26 cm /.800"
Thickness at Fret 12: 2.54 cm / .900"

That's actually a wee bit thinner than the Waddy Wachtel model that I own.

samsdad

samsdad

So...they're not building them (the Hannas) to that spec?
5 Years Ago
when these guitars Started coming out
I Had The funds to buy them
i now am not in that position any More
being disabled and on a Fixed income
but I Did own A Joe Walsh Custom Shop
A Waddy Watchel A Dutch Burst And A Jeff Hanna
All 60 models like you i was looking for the Proper
Neck feel to fit my Hand being a fan of 60 necks
The Joe Walsh Was Easily my Favorite Neck
The Dutch Burst And Waddy Where About the same In feel
And The Jeff Hanna That I Had Had The Largest neck