• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Luthier in Northern Virginia area?

ajhoop

Hi all. New member here and just traded a strat for my first LP. I just noodle around at home and have been playing off and on for ~25 years since high school.

I believe I just bought an '84 LP Custom. It's fairly road-worn and I know has had the tuners swapped out.

Can anyone recommend a good luthier in the northern Virginia area? Can also travel to DC or Maryland. I don't know that it needs anything in particular, but I'd like to get it looked over by someone who knows more about these than I.

Thanks!

Andy

Hi all. New member here and just traded a strat for my first LP. I just noodle around at home and have been playing off and on for ~25 years since high school.

I believe I just bought an '84 LP Custom. It's fairly road-worn and I know has had the tuners swapped out.

Can anyone recommend a good luthier in the northern Virginia area? Can also travel to DC or Maryland. I don't know that it needs anything in particular, but I'd like to get it looked over by someone who knows more about these than I.

Thanks!

Andy

UNION STREET Guitar Works in Oqueccon, VA

Big Al

Luthiers build guitars. Usually of their own design and often limited in scope, ie; archtops or lutes or pre war D type or original solid body ....

What you want is a Repair Tech. Good Repair Shops have strong local reputations and should be easy to locate. Good high end retail shops often have good in house tech or can recommend one.

Bob Womack

Luthiers build guitars. Usually of their own design and often limited in scope, ie; archtops or lutes or pre war D type or original solid body ....
What you want is a Repair Tech. Good Repair Shops have strong local reputations and should be easy to locate. Good high end retail shops often have good in house tech or can recommend one.
Which brings up an interesting meditation: what do you say when your repair tech is also a luthier? I can't tell you how many times over the last twenty years I've been corrected when I referred to my lutheir as an, um... luthier. :ganz

kennymsig.jpg

Bob

marshall1987

Which brings up an interesting meditation: what do you say when your repair tech is also a luthier? I can't tell you how many times over the last twenty years I've been corrected when I referred to my lutheir as an, um... luthier. :ganz

kennymsig.jpg

Bob

If the guy is repairing guitars, then he's working as a tech. If he is building guitars then he is a luthier. That work?

Big Al

If the guy is repairing guitars, then he's working as a tech. If he is building guitars then he is a luthier. That work?

That is it. I have had Bernie Lehman and Ben Bruton repair guitars for me as repairmen functioning as Repair Techs. When I commission a guitar they function as Luthiers. No confusion at all.