• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Lowell George

Pellman73

I'm really obsessing over Lowell George after recently learning about him

I've known Little Feat for a long time but didn't really know all the good stuff came from his genius

please some people tell me some stories if you've got them

this one is great too. check out how he gets the drone notes going... so cool

toxpert

Telecaster bridge pickup
Round wound strings
Lots of compression

:dude:

Xpensive Wino

11/16" Craftsman socket.

Open tuning.

70's Strat with a Tele pickup in it.

2 compression pedals in series; MXR Dynacomps.

Clean amp (loud) with a lot of headrrom - big iron. Don't ask about lower volume.

Unbound Dot Neck

Sam Clayton, Bill Payne, Kenny Gradney, Paul Barrere,
Dang it the drummers name escapees me, Killer player
Of course , Lowell
Many a show in DC !! back in the days 70's / 80's

Glad you found Lil Feat

The band went on to back up many other musicians during that time

toxpert

Richie Hayward... R.I.P.
GREAT drummer!

What a band Little Feat was with Lowell.... and still carries on today despite losses to that line up.

Pellman73

11/16" Craftsman socket.

Open tuning.

70's Strat with a Tele pickup in it.

2 compression pedals in series; MXR Dynacomps.

Clean amp (loud) with a lot of headrrom - big iron. Don't ask about lower volume.

now I understand where the Origin effects slide rig came from

SpencerD

If it's not too off topic,Mr. Glenn Snoddy has died at the age of 96.

That man ' invented' fuzz my brothers and sisters

He was a recording engineer in Nashville for years. On a session in 1960 ( I forgot the artist who was recording :##) a transformer in an amp blew and the tone got all fuzzy.

Glenn packaged that shit up into a pedal that the Gibson company bought and sold as Maestro Fuzz Tone.

It can be heard on that old Rolling Stones song about getting no satisfaction ----- and a billion songs since! :dude::yah:peace2

Glenn Snoddy was a badass man

renderit

35712679533_d0db06b40e_b.jpg

More Lowell.

Pellman73

35712679533_d0db06b40e_b.jpg

More Lowell.

yup. learned about it from you

I'm sure you know by now you can't find any of them!

you have quite a quiver there.

which do you like the best?

and do you know if the compact deluxe slide rig is as good or close to as good as the big one?

I've got this one (I"ve actually not even tried it yet and I've had it for months)

I wonder if I stack that with my compact deluxe will it be similar? I would think so

renderit

I like the Cali76 TX-P the best. Next the Slide Rig. Then the Germanium (mine is not a Germanium BOOST, just a Germanium). If I could only have one it would be the TX-P and the Slide Rig. I like the large format better than the compact. But if I could only have a compact it is 10X better than any other compressor. To only call it a compressor is not giving the merit it should have though. It is Ren's Majikal Colorizer, Farm Implement and Sexual Sound Machine©®℗™℞℃.

Last edited:

Pellman73

I like the Cali76 TX-P the best. Next the Slide Rig. Then the Germanium (mine is not a Germanium BOOST, just a Germanium). If I could only have one it would be the TX-P and the Slide Rig. I like the large format better than the compact. But if I could only have a compact it is 10X better than any other compressor. To only call it a compressor is not giving the merit it should have though. It is Ren's Majikal Colorizer, Farm Implement and Sexual Sound Machine©®℗™℞℃.

I got a sexual sound machine a few months back

its an early 80's Roland TR-808

its actually a fascinating story. The head of roland found that defective transistors made it sound cooler (the distincive "sizzle") and so they would purposefully put the defective transistors in... only 2-3 percent of the transistors had this quality. and when the quality improved with the transistor manufacturing they could no longer make the Tr-808!

http://secretlifeofsynthesizers.com/the-strange-heart-of-the-roland-tr-808/

Pellman73

OOPs LG,

;-D

I think the main thing, like the other guys were saying, is getting the compression going. The SLIDERIG pedals from Origin Effects were inspired by Lowell George's use of stacked compression.

that way you get this incredible sustain

he used a strat and I guess he was using a DUMBLE
W

"I'm using a custom-made Howard Dumble amp which is the best one that I've ever played through - it's like a Fender made right. If you want a screaming Twin sound but don't want it too loud, you can do it. That amp has an overdrive section, somewhat similar to that of the Music Man amp. With the reverb on a Fender you have only two choices: on or off. But this reverb has a send and return so you can vary the amount of each. the spring inside the Fender reverb unit is a joke, and when you send the same amount as the input of the guitar signal, you're asking for it - everyone sounds like the Ventures. The way around it is by having separate controls, which the Dumble amp has. It costs about the same as a new Marshall with four 10" speakers in the bayonet cabinet.
clear.png
I've always liked that Marshall cabinet sound because it really projects. And it still has some nice lows. the Dumble amp has a switch so you can activate the overdrive section during a solo without having to turn up the amp or guitar volume up. I like it a lot, it's the best amp I've ever played through."