• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R9 Custom Buckers and Hum

mikoo69

Noticed that the Custom Bucker PAF repros on my 2016 Gibson R9 STD Historic 1959 Les Paul VOS hum similar to a single coil, and aren't hum free like the humbuckers on more mdoern guitars. In the store it seemed every vintage style Les Paul displayed this behavior, so I'm assuming it's normal and due to the vintage style, lack of wax potting,etc. When both volumes are turned up to 10, the are silent in the middle position, though if I roll one down, noise and hum starts coming back...they exhibit hum/noise in neck or bridge.

The pickups sound great, though one of the reasons I switched to a Gibson from a Strat was to avoid noise, especially at gigs where there are fluorescent signs or anything that used to make my strat too noisy.

Just wondering if this is normal, the nature of the pickups, or something to do with the wiring and can be remedied? Has anyone changed out the pickups in their R9 due to this?

Thanks

ntotoro

This is normal. Any time you have a pickup with unbalanced coils, you'll have a little hum.

Nick

mikoo69

Thanks! They sound amazing. Glad this is normal.

I'm assuming the hum wont be as bad as my old single coil strat? We used to play some venues with flourescent bar signs and big fridges, and I would have to stand at a certain angle to not have the noise overpower the guitar...are these still relatively "humbucking?" comapred to single coils?

El Gringo

Custombuckers with hum is not something that has bothered me with 2014 R9 , I have another Gibson Custom Les Paul with Burst Buckers #1 in the neck and a Burst Bucker #3 in the bridge and all I had was squealing at High Volume thru my Marshall 2555X , which drove me mad and that was the end of that as I ordered a set of Throbak SLE-101 + Pickups and a wiring harness from Marks Guitar Loft with 500k pots and vintage Bumble Bees caps .Which will remedy the sound and I look forward to that soon . I have heard from several sources that the Custombuckers are lightly wax potted .