• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1962 Cherry Gibson 2 PAF ES-335

DEVILBAT

A fellow forum member and longtime friend was kind enough to give me first shot at his beautiful 2 PAF stop tailpiece all original cherry block marker 1962 ES-335 this week. This guy is a longtime player and collector so I was lucky to get the first phone call when he made a decision tho "thin down the herd" and sell me his minty 1962 ES-335, which I reluctantly sold to him myself about 12 years ago. Good news is it is just as clean as when I sold it to him years ago.
So happy to get it back. He maintained it perfect, and the guitar still looks, plays and sounds killer...the PAFs have that distinctive snarl, and "woman tone" when I roll back on the front pickup's tone control. There is no line checking or flaws in the finish. Guitar is a monster! I'm very happy to get this great cherry '62 original 335 back! It's a keeper! Thanks for letting me rant and for taking a look! Oh I used a Bigsby case as I'm letting the original air out a bit from a little cig smoke. Should be fine! Baking soda works.
bVyLN6n.jpg

1AFy9oi.jpg

TFnFxFQ.jpg

LtUIKuA.jpg

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Nice guitar right there!

Good luck on the case "airing out" though, oof. I'm going on 3 years with a certain old gibson case that still smells like a moldy basement after multiple attempted treatments. Acceptance has been my last resort. I used to have a lot rack gear, you'd think you could just clean the cigarette stank off a piece of steel but I never had success. My dad's old record collection is probably going to a new home too at some point because every time the air is a bit humid...pungent cat smell!

DEVILBAT

That's the biz right there!:XRE

I'm digging it right now! Funny thing is, I was (kinda) looking for a "Clapton" 1964 block marker 335 (no pafs) when this nearly mint one with pafs almost fell in my hands at about the same price a '64 would cost me. The last couple of pre '65s I've owned have all been Bigsby models, and I was determined to find a stop tailpiece model Plus, I helped out a fellow forum member so everyone is happy all around! I'm really enjoying playing this bad boy.

DEVILBAT

Marvelous! Charlie had a recent blogpost on '62s: http://www.es-335.com/2018/03/29/sleeper-but-not-a-snooze/
For many years I've beed lusting for a wide-nut, blockneck cherry 335.... if only they were half the money :((((

Thanks, brother! I have got to check that blog entry out. I almost bought a 355 a couple of weeks back from Charlie but would have been short on this one. Charlie always treats me very well.

Glad you dig the guitar! It's funny how some guitars can age for50 plus years w/o a mark, while others look like they've been through hell. Funny thing....I kinda like them either way!

latestarter

That’s fantastic - congrats on getting it back, and helping a friend!

crashbelt

Beautiful guitar.

Just be careful with that sodium bicarb. I bought an original case for my 64 which had been heavily treated to get rid of that smell. It was was full of small spherical white crystals which began to react with the nitro finish within minutes of being put in the case. Brushed it off quickly and was ok.

I've been treating the case for over a year to get rid of the residue, including chemical treatments to neutralise the alkali and prolonged exposure to sunlight but I'm not confident to use the case.

Hope yours is fine but be careful.........

reddeluxe

Beautiful, awesome guitar! If you are not aware, check out J. D. Simo and his cherry '62, which he says is the guitar "that changed his life". I owned a Bigsby/Custom Made sunburst set up as a stoptail and from the photos, yours has the same slightly shallower neck join angle, compared to later mid '60's models, that make the '62's such great players. Best set of musical, balanced pickups of any Gibson I have ever played. Enjoy yours!