• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Plek on a new 2016 R9 floor model?

mikoo69

[FONT=.SFUIText]Just got a new 2016 Custom Shop Historic Standard 1959 Les Paul VOS from Sam Ash - floor model, so it may have been hanging on the wall for a while and played by customers, but seems to be in great condition. Want to bring it in to a top tech in NYC to have its initial setup and found Peekamoose as an authorized Gibson repair shop. After Writing, he suggested the following. Wondering what the forum thinks of doing this work? Is it worth it to do a plek Job and setup to start off getting my new R9 in top shape?

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]“The other option which I'm guessing you'd be surprised how many people prefer is to have your instrument Plek'd and then setup. This involves leveling and crowning the frets on my Plek machine based on your preferred string gauge and action height. This really dials the instrument in far beyond factory specs and also accommodates the changes which occur to every instrument once strings have been on for any length of time. Board compression is a very common issue with relatively new instruments. To some degree it comes down to how performance driven a client is in terms of how responsive they'd like their instrument to be. Doing a Plek run make an instrument more responsive to the touch and significantly improves intonation accuracy. Gibson runs Plek at the factory but they do it while instruments are "in the white" (no finish, no hardware, no strings, using simulated string tension for the few minutes when the instrument is on the machine getting scanned. what they do at the factory is effective but does not negate board compression occurring once the instrument makes it through assembly and is shipped to a dealer and then sold.“[/FONT][/FONT]

Tim Plains

Save your money...at least for now. Play the guitar for a couple months, get to know it well, make minor adjustments yourself, Les Pauls are easy to adjust, and then decide if it needs work. That is what I would do, but if you have this mental notion that it needs a second plek to be in tip top shape, by all means go through with it.

mikoo69

I'll play the guitar and experiment with my own setups for a few months, then bring it to get work. Thanks for the advice!

renderit

42329032651_fe630718e9.jpg

P.Walker

Save your money...at least for now. Play the guitar for a couple months, get to know it well, make minor adjustments yourself, Les Pauls are easy to adjust, and then decide if it needs work. That is what I would do, but if you have this mental notion that it needs a second plek to be in tip top shape, by all means go through with it.

+1