• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dickey Betts Black SG

thanphis

From MLPForum: "The black SG is a one-off made by Gibson for him. Upper bout toggle switch, controls further up the guitar, side mounted jack - a lot more Les Paulish"

chasenblues

rQOi9UV.jpg

lespaul1970

I've heard from a few that this was a custom made deal for Dickey by Gibson- can' t really say more than that though- I wish some more facts about the guitar would come out. Definitely interesting though- for those of us who love the toggle switch where it usually is on a Les Paul- this is an amazing way to still have that AND have an SG too. Hard to believe this hasn't really been an option all these years. Hope some more facts come out on this soon!

c_wester

I dotn see any big mystery here. The man wanted the selector switch in the LP position and the volume near his hand.
And the Custom shop made it for him.

lespaul1970

..no mystery at all- just wondering things like - will they come into production?- or was this a particular thing just for Dickey? Also wondering what made Dickey lean towards this and not his usual arsenal of Les Pauls or SGs? I think it sounds awesome - although Dickey can get an awesome tone out of anything. He has one of the all time greatest guitar tones in my opinion...

c_wester

..no mystery at all- just wondering things like - will they come into production?- or was this a particular thing just for Dickey? Also wondering what made Dickey lean towards this and not his usual arsenal of Les Pauls or SGs? I think it sounds awesome - although Dickey can get an awesome tone out of anything. He has one of the all time greatest guitar tones in my opinion...

I dont think I am very far of point if I say he probably wanted a lighter guitar as many want especially after carrying a heavy LP for years.

Last edited:

toxpert

What is that 5th knob on the pickguard ...close to the bridge?

zacknorton

the "new" black sg is incredibly offset. the upper horn attaches at the body a few frets higher than normal.. It's a weird looking machine.

chasenblues

the "new" black sg is incredibly offset. the upper horn attaches at the body a few frets higher than normal.. It's a weird looking machine.

Just speculating here..

Maybe they had to make the upper horn larger/beefier to allow for the routing for the toggle switch/wiring channel.