• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Yet another pickup question (sorry!)

Strumming Fool

Hello LP forum!

I did a search to see if I could find another thread on this forum already and I was surprised that I didn't so hence the new post (although this question has been asked a million times so sorry!).

I traded up last month to a 2016 Gibson LP Studio after having an Epi LP Standard for a loooong time. I enjoyed the feel and tones of the Gibson way better than the Epi even though it's burning a hole in my wallet.

I've decided I'm going to put my Bigsby B7 on the Gibson with a roller bridge but I have also been dabbling in watching tons of tone videos for various pups out there.

Currently the Gibson has the 490R/498T combo which I love the bite and distortion but I have been craving a more clean/bright sound in the neck position.

Opinions on this vary so wildly but what neck pup would you go to for a more clean/bright lead guitar tone in an LP? I am thinking a classic 57 in the neck and keeping the 498T in the bridge but I'd like input from the LP vets here.

Thanks for your time in reading this!

S.

MeHereNow

An alternative:

You could try to swap the magnets, before investing in other pickups.
the 490 neck pu has a A2 magnet, the 498 bridge has a A5.
I once did that with a 2011 LP Studio and loved the change in tone, the neck pu became more clear and defined, and the bridge pickup became less trebly and more "rounder" tone.
I raised the whole bridge pickup a tad with the screw-in polepieces almost flush with the pickupcover, and lowered the neck pickup but raised the screw-in polepieces so they were about a milimeter above the pickupcover.
Did the "zigzag" polepiece method and radiussed..ed..us'd..(...) the polepieces to match the 12" abr and fretboard radius of the guitar
It balanced out the volume of both pu'ps as well.
Always worth a try.
Keep in mind the magnet orientation, and if youre not comfortable doing it yourself, have a luthier or do it for you.
Also, before doing this try the stock pickups without covers installed first, this already could be to your liking.

Zentar

I changed humbuckers in my Studio. I didn't like the 490/498 so I swapped in a Seymore Duncan Hot Rodded set which I liked. This is SD's biggest seller. I think I paid $135 for the set.

The Studio uses 300k pots and I've wondered if the 490/498 would sound brighter with 500k pots.
The SD Hot Rodders seemed to be a good match for 300k pots.

Strumming Fool

@MeHereNow, thanks so much for your input! That is a great idea actually, you didn't find the 498T too hot in the neck position? And removing the pickup covers what a fantastic idea totally going to try that once I have a chance.

@Zentar, I was curious about this and went onto Gibson's website for a 2016 Les Paul Studio the pots are 500K already. I was reading a lot of old threads out there and that upgraded was mentioned a few times. I have no idea what the pots do 100% but I figured because they are already at 500K I didn't really need to find out lol.

Zentar

@MeHereNow, thanks so much for your input! That is a great idea actually, you didn't find the 498T too hot in the neck position? And removing the pickup covers what a fantastic idea totally going to try that once I have a chance.

@Zentar, I was curious about this and went onto Gibson's website for a 2016 Les Paul Studio the pots are 500K already. I was reading a lot of old threads out there and that upgraded was mentioned a few times. I have no idea what the pots do 100% but I figured because they are already at 500K I didn't really need to find out lol.

Thanks for mentioning the 2016 pots are 500k. My 2009 Studio uses 300k. I did not know Gibson had updated the pots.
You might could just switch just the one humbucker with a used Seymore Duncan from Ebay.
I put the quick connects on my new humbuckers so if I sell the guitar I can quickly put it back to original condition.