• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Rubber Washers

jalevinemd

Two Questions:

1. For those of you using the Grolsch rubber washers, the ones sold by Fender or any other company to secure the straps on your guitars, I'm curious to know what you do about strap removal. When you need to pack up your guitar for rehearsal or a gig, do you remove the washer and strap or do you leave them on the entire time the guitar is in the bag/case? My concern is that if I continually remove the washer to take the strap off and put it back on, the rubber will stretch and become less secure.

What are you guys doing?

2. Does anyone use the rubber washers on SG's or 33X's where the top strap button is on the back of the guitar. I tried it and was not confident in the security of the system. What is your experience?

Last edited:

J T

The washers work well if the strap is not double thick. If it's a thick strap the washer will be a tight fit kind of "cup" out on the original strap buttons.

I just pull em off and toss em in the case pocket. They just take a second to pull on and do hold tight on the original strap buttons with a single width strap.

I actually leave the entire strap on with my moody straps. I found they just fit perfectly on those straps. The Eldorado straps. Fuggaedabodit. They would never go in the case with ANY of my guitars. They go on after the guit is out.

Grolsch washers are highly recommended.

jalevinemd

The washers work well if the strap is not double thick. If it's a thick strap the washer will be a tight fit kind of "cup" out on the original strap buttons.

I just pull em off and toss em in the case pocket. They just take a second to pull on and do hold tight on the original strap buttons with a single width strap.

I actually leave the entire strap on with my moody straps. I found they just fit perfectly on those straps. The Eldorado straps. Fuggaedabodit. They would never go in the case with ANY of my guitars. They go on after the guit is out.

Grolsch washers are highly recommended.

Agree about the Moody's. They're definitely soft enough to put in the case with the guitar. I've got an El Dorado on my 335. It's too thick to even get a washer completely around. It was so hard too get on the strap button that I'm comfortable not using any kind of lock. It's not coming off. I was able to fit the guitar and strap into my Mono bag.

Xpensive Wino

Every guitar has a strap, and every strap is Grolsched. I dislike the beer, but I buy it for the washers. The other types don't work as well as genuine Grolsch washers.

They work on every guitar, including doublecut Juniors and 335s with the heel strap button.

I never take the straps off. They're a bugger to remove and put back on, and I'm bone idle. :spabout

When my guitars are not being played, they're in a rack ready for use.

If I drive with guitars, gig bags go in the car. If I fly, gig bags go in the seat next to mine.

I don't use cases, so I have a roomful of useless guitar luggage. :hee

RicOkc

Save yourself some money and check your local beer brewing supply shop.

You can buy a quantity of the washers for a lot less than any of the guitar supply shops sell them for.

Xpensive Wino

Save yourself some money and check your local beer brewing supply shop.

You can buy a quantity of the washers for a lot less than any of the guitar supply shops sell them for.

I tried that, they weren't the same. Gave them away.

Must be something special about the Grolsch beer stoppers.

Money's not really an issue. :laugh2:

RicOkc

I'm sure that there are more than one company making/ selling those.

Like that old saying "A fool and his money soon part".

Axis39

I buy mine at a local garden center that also has home brewing supplies. They're red and heavy duty. And they're pennies each.

I like to leave the straps on my guitars... I like having a strap for each guitar.

I also use them on all of my guitars, Gibsons (LPs and an SG) Fenders... Even on my Gretsches.