• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-335 59 RI...what can you tell me about this one?

jbear

I found one of these with a sn A-93XXX, which I am assuming is a 2003? It's red, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows enough about these to tell me:
-Where it was made
-PUP's
-Pots and caps
-What it might be worth in Ex cond.
-How you like a nylon nut...never tried that.
Anything else interesting you care to share. I was not able to try it, but I was able to view a video with good sound.
It'll be here on Monday, so...I need to fill that time with bothersome questions.
I have a 2011 Memphis Dot RI that is absolute magic...traded my 339 for that one. Hoping there is some magic in this one!
Thanks all.

Progrocker111

It is Nashville made, it will be a bit different feeling in comparison to your newer Memphis made one. Pickups will be most probably 57 Classics.

I prefer these Historic Nashville made ones, they have generally lower neck angle and better attention to construction detail, but generally they are less historically accurate.

jbear

Thanks for responding! I should be getting it tomorrow. I was reading and it looks as if these have Custombuckers, which I know nothing about. I have Peter Florence Voodoos in the other one, but that is just because I enjoy modding. I'll be interested to see what is under the hood.
I had a 59 neck on the 339 that I traded for the Memphis, which I liked very much.

Progrocker111

I was reading and it looks as if these have Custombuckers, which I know nothing about.

Then it must be not 2003, but 2013 - which is only better for you. I much prefer Custombuckers over 57 Classics. :)

jbear

Can you tell from the SN? How do you tell the difference between 03 and 13 if that second digit is the year?

jbear

So...according to Gibson (who responded pretty quickly...thank you)...they repeat the sn sequence. In other words...can't tell from the SN whether it is 93, 03, or 13 (these weren't made in 93 so that's out).
Here's what they asked for in order to help:

"-Any information relating to the known history of the instrument (such as when and where purchased, any known repairs or modifications made)
-Photos of the instrument – full front, full back, as well as close ups of the front and back of the headstock, also of the serial number and any COA/paperwork that the instrument may have."

BTW: It won't be coming with paperwork, so photos will have to do.

mdubya

If it is a 2013, it will be Memphis made and it would have MHS buckers, not Custom Buckers.

We will require photos, of course. :photos

And the Label should tell us more. As will the case and COA and packing list and anything else that may or may not come with the guitar.

jbear

Ok...first...not sure how to post photos here, but if nothing else I will link to photos on my photography website.
Only got to unpack and play for about twenty minutes, but...wow! I love that smell!

Case says: Gibson Custom (Black/Gold/Dk purple inside).
Orange Label says: Nashville, hang-tags say Historic. Don't have the COA...may come later...I don't care really.
It's super clean.
Board is very dark and tight-grained, and not dry at all. Brazilian maybe? Anyway...it's purty.
Frets show very little wear.
No chips...no dings...it was sold as "Very Good" but I think they underestimated by a good bit.
I didn't weigh it, but seller say right at 8lbs. Feels lighter but semis can be deceiving. I should weigh my Memphis...I think it's lighter, but???
1-The only thing that really matters...plays like muthaf***a:jim Fat neck just like my 339 had...low action (might raise it) but no buzz. Very detailed and loud unplugged...sustains nicely.

2-Sounds very sweet, airy, and vintage-y as you would expect. I did not have time to pull the PUP's, but I can see the braided wire. Which Gibson PUPs...who knows? I'll get in there when I can to look, but not a priority (plus...Gibson's still tough to ID even when you can see them). I'll have to play it for quite a while before I think about whether it would like another set. Some guitars tell me that from the moment I plug 'em in.

3-I can see Bumblebees inside...maybe that's a clue for someone? I generally like .015n/.022b, but again...it's happy...so...I'm not likely to mess with it.

The amps...Ceriatone Overtone Special, Fender 65 DRRI and Blues Jr. Blacface mod, Suhr Badger 18, Winfield Thomas Winfield. Have only gotten to try the Deluxe Rev so far, but if it sounds good through that...the others will be fine.

That's the lastest for those who are interested. If that gives any insight into year or PUPs...holla.

Progrocker111

If it is a 2013, it will be Memphis made and it would have MHS buckers, not Custom Buckers.

No, they are still the new Nashville ones even up today, but they are produced in smaller numbers in comparison to "regular" Memphis production. They have different serial number system too...

AA00475Bassman

I yet to play a Nashville other than a natural ES 335 I liked , I played a ebony ES 355 Nashville two weeks ago & a turd it was ! IMO Memphis !

jbear

I yet to play a Nashville other than a natural ES 335 I liked , I played a ebony ES 355 Nashville two weeks ago & a turd it was ! IMO Memphis !

That's a shame...glad I'm not you:) I don't recall if I've ever played a Nashville, but I've had 100+ guitars over the years...every other Nashville on the planet may suck but this one isn't leaving...neither is the Memphis...I feel lucky.

renderit

I'm the opposite. Almost EVERY Nashville I have played was sterling. Many Memphis not so much. BUT. The Memphis' have gotten MUCH better of late and I have found few turds since 2015. I still have this Nash. 1998 65 RI 345

36425489996_82363fc11c_k.jpg

jbear

Well...not sure how to put pics here for you, but...

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?328522-335-s-Do-you-like-the-later-years/page2

End of the thread is where the pix be at.

jbear

Heard back from Gibson. It's a 2013...Custombuckers.
So far...they are pretty nice sounding...subtle though. I haven't really played with the height, pole-pieces, or at volume so...can't say for sure. I'm gonna leave it alone for now.
One thing I still need to ask the Gibson rep is if the pots are 500's...that...will have to happen if not.

mdubya

No, they are still the new Nashville ones even up today, but they are produced in smaller numbers in comparison to "regular" Memphis production. They have different serial number system too...

Even those start life in Memphis as I understand it.

wmachine

Yes, but still there are many differences between them, not only in specs.
I would expect that, but I'd like to know what those specific differences are. The genesis of Memphis ES production came from the Nashville Custom Shop, and build "quality" is already pretty far up there, so I wonder what the Nashville CS doing that is value added.
It stands to reason they have to start in Memphis because the specialized equipment used for the ES bodies only exist there, understandably.

Progrocker111

so I wonder what the Nashville CS doing that is value added.

Only from my personal experience, they are better build and have in average lower neck angles. Otherwise are less historically accurate, for example their 63 Historic model still has big late 50s Mickey Mouse ears, uncorrect for 63 model.

1jamman

HNGD . I'll add some of what I recall about this time at Gibson . In 2013 , Gibson (Custom shop) started building the newest iteration of 335 '59 RI's that had blister tops(all hide glued construction to) . I'd like to see some pics of the guitar you got .

Shortly after the run started (IIRC less then, say about 50 guitars ,since Gibson doesn't give output #'s) The production of these guitars was moved to Memphis ,along with the Builders(almost all I think) who did the 335's at the CS to Memphis .That's where the COA or Serial number and pictures can be very helpful .... At the start the COA's were CS and then were Memphis issued . IIRC , the next year Gibson did make some Custom Shop built 335's , but not as Memphis was making as "special" very small runs . I only recall seeing a very few listed
They are listed as part of the Historic line and carry the "A" prefix also ....

Mike Voltz did a NAMM Video about these(look for 2013 NAMM Memphis), which was got me to wait and jump on buying 1 when they were available ...

Todays iteration is not quite the same as the build has changed to speed up production = less Hide glue , plus other changes/refinements were made . Pots were upped to 550K MHS Custom buckers entered the Memphis line . As the original 2013's had (IIRC , I have to look it up) BB's 1 & 2 . Maybe even 57's ....
This is where the time it was built may provide more info.

As far as I understand 2017 is when Gibson started using BRW again( for LP's) . So I doubt yours has it .
I don't recall seeing any BRW 335's last year , but have seen a small run (CS / all Hide glued '59 335 RI's online this year .... If I wasn't in Brazil now and they had a thin 60's neck(or even close to my fat neck size limit) ... I would have already bought 1 ... To big neck size for me .. which bites, since I could find an excuse to buy 1 , if I tried .