• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

An "In-Between" of a R9 and R0 neck profile

Tonester

Hello everyone - Q: Could the new 2018 R9 be the in-between I've been looking for? Not sure if it's an OCD/ADD thing or just plain indecisiveness, but I've always been the kind of person that happens to like the unattainable. As I'm hunting around for my next guitar (R59), I've been doing quite a bit of research and noticed is there is quite a varying range within R9's (roughly between .880/.910) "at the neck" profile, and R0's (.780/.810) at the neck profile. I love my 2003 standard and it measures comfortably right in-between the above two. Although I've never played one, I'm hearing new 2018 R9's are slightly narrower, averaging roughly .860/.880, which I can live with. Is this the in-between i've been waiting for? Thanks!

jalevinemd

Hello everyone - Q: Could the new 2018 R9 be the in-between I've been looking for? Not sure if it's an OCD/ADD thing or just plain indecisiveness, but I've always been the kind of person that happens to like the unattainable. As I'm hunting around for my next guitar (R59), I've been doing quite a bit of research and noticed is there is quite a varying range within R9's (roughly between .880/.910) "at the neck" profile, and R0's (.780/.810) at the neck profile. I love my 2003 standard and it measures comfortably right in-between the above two. Although I've never played one, I'm hearing new 2018 R9's are slightly narrower, averaging roughly .860/.880, which I can live with. Is this the in-between i've been waiting for? Thanks!

I'm not sure of their exact measurements, but the Historic LP I just got from Chicago Music Exchange with the "Carmelita Neck profile" seems the perfect compromise between a '59 and a '60. :salude

sws1

New idea for Gibson Custom

Make a guitar with that mid-60 transition neck shape. Smaller than '59 but not the skinny late '60. Might find some new customers.

John550

CME has a 14 CR RO w/v-2 neck .82 1st .93 on 12th , as new condition , I bought as a collectable , absolutely Killer guitar . I had to let it go due to unemployment .

Tonester

You all are incredible! Thanks so much for your feedback and my sincerest apologies for the late response. I was out of town this week. I was able visit a guitar store in Houston and found the "new" R9 profile still felt a little chunky for me. I'm sure I could get used to it, and would be a different feel to my standard, but I just love the way my guitar feels. Would love to have the same profile on a lighter reissue.

John - I also learned V2 R0 would be the way to go. Thanks.

WizardMC - That is interesting and the inconsistency and variation of the neck dimensions from Gibson is precisely what drives me nuts! I've noticed the same.

I'm will look into your recommendations and report back.

Thank you!!!

1jamman

I'd look at the selection at Wildwood (others also list these) since they list neck size specs . From what I've been seeing, some R9's (relatively few) have slimmed down to a .860/.870 @ the 1st. fret . Not the typical . many more have had .880/.890 @ the 1st.fret and fatter . Depending on you preference 1 that that could be perfect for you . I've found for a fat neck , .870 along with a nice shape to the neck is a size I can play and feel comfortable with.

I'm a R0/60's slim, thin neck lover as my 1st choice an strangely enough when it comes to R0's I do not care for the V2 R0 neck .... I've seen then (mostly) max out at about .840 at the 1st. fret . (Someone posted a V2 neck feels like a R9 neck that went on a diet . Good eval ,imo) A V2 neck is more rounded ,like an R9 neck just with less "meat" all around .
Give me a V3 neck with .800 @ the 1st. fret and I'm a happy camper ....

What I've learned over the years is to ask for neck depth measurements @ the 1st. and 12th. frets . If I can't get them , I move along since there are so many guitars out there and sellers who will be happy to get you that info . Also, shape has a big part of how a neck feels in hand, so asking about that is important . Even as it's a more objective evaluation, asking about it will surely help .... Give me a flat backed ,slimmest neck they make ... And I'm good

Mats A

Last summer i tried a R0 at a music store, not sure about the year but could have been a 2016-2017, and the neck felt just like the 91 and 92 Standards i’ve had.