• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Toggle Switch Cavity Cover Removal

jalevinemd

I just picked up my new Historic LP today. Wanted to replace that god awful medallion on the back with the black plastic one. The metal one doesn't want to come off. I'm assuming it's the slight humidity here in Chicago. Hoping once it's been in my air conditioned house overnight it'll be easier. If that doesn't work what are my other options...shy of removing the toggle switch entirely and pushing it out or waiting until the Fall when the humidity drops? :salude

J.D.

I've seen these "stick" to the paint on the mating surface. Easiest way is to carefully grab it through one of the screw holes with something like a dental pick and gently lift until it breaks loose. You definitely do not want to pry between the outside edge of the plate and the body.

Reactions: J T

P.Walker

My buddy had his replaced with double sided sticky tape (removed right promptly once job done). If yours is too tight, other methods as suggested in this thread.

jalevinemd

Okay...the dental pick didn’t work. So I broke the tip off a Q-tip and advanced the shaft into the recessed area for one of the screws. Then I pushed it forward in hopes of rotating the entire disc. That worked to free the adhered finish or whatever was holding the disc in place. It popped right out after that.

SoK66

I used a small automotive pick tool through one of the screw holes. Nice that they anticipated we'd hate the damn things and provided a replacement in the bling bag!

DANELECTRO

The control cavity cover of my 2003 R7 was so tight I didn't think that I would be able to remove it without damaging the lacquer. I don't know if the problem was an undersize pocket or thick lacquer, but I had a helluva time removing it. The factory must have used a mallet to pop it into the recessed pocket. I ended up sanding the edges before reinstalling it.

Artful106

I missed the part about removing the toggle switch and had to do a riskier maneuver. Caught the edge of the lacquer unfortunately (slight indent)
annoying when you see their crappy work..

Attachments

• IMG_2274.JPG
    IMG_2274.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 18

renderit

I used a small automotive pick tool through one of the screw holes. Nice that they anticipated we'd hate the damn things and provided a replacement in the bling bag!
Yes.

Get a set of 5 picks from Harbor Fright.

Straight, and bent angles.

They work wonders on all sorts of things.