• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Very Unmatched 2014 "120" LP Trad - Worth it?

Dogamondo

Hey all,

I have stumbled across a shop selling a "brand new" Les Paul 2014 120th Anniversary Traditional, which is a model/year I've read good things about.

Unfortunately the shop is many cities away from me, so I would need to fly there to view / play the guitar which I can't do.

They have been kind enough to send me a good amount of pictures, but I'm now slightly concerned that the AA figured top is very unmatched and that's maybe why it hasn't sold to date?

I'm aware that this model was quite highly regarded and is now difficult to find in new condition. But I'm wondering if that justifies the asking price (high 2's) considering I can get a 2017/18 trad for less.

I'm interested in this guitar not only to scratch the itch of obtaining a '59 style Les Paul (for a price I can afford!), but also hoping it would hold its value over the years.

Would really appreciate opinions of those in the know.

Pics below, Thanks!

tiller2

Hi doga,
Sometimes the apparent mismatch of a top depends on the viewing angle. All three of those pics are from the same angle. If you ask the seller for a photo of the top from a different angle, such as from two steps to the left, the top might seem more uniform. Looks like a great guitar.

grimlyflick

It’s a traditional, it’ll hold it’s price no more or no less than any other year traditional.

Go to a local store and try a bunch out, I’m sure you’ll get a much better deal and find something you’ll be far happier with.

On the subject of the 2014 guitars, didn’t they have a dodgy 12th fret inlay that would make this guitar less desirable, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of 2014 being any better than any other recent year.

Scott L

Only Les Paul Geeks know about the 12 Fret Anniversary Banner, and people with really good vision who look for small details.

The 2014 Traditionals do have a slightly larger neck carve than other years, and have no weight relief whatsoever.

Last edited:

Dogamondo

Why the dislike for the 120th inlay?

The fact that it was an anniversary model was one of the reasons I was interested in this particular guitar. It's different and makes it unique.

I've since had another picture come through in less harsh lighting conditions which makes the non matched top less severe than I had originally thought.

It's still pricey at $2700 though.

AJCR

Because its not a regular trapezoid inlay......and the typical Gibson owner is very anti things that were not around in the 50's.

Dogamondo

Because its not a regular trapezoid inlay......and the typical Gibson owner is very anti things that were not around in the 50's.

Ah yes I see. It's a banner on closer inspection. Still, a lot more tasteful than the 100 headstock scrawl on the 2015.

I see your point though, and there would be no disguising the guitar as anything other than a 2014 Trad because of it either.

Where are you / the guitar located?

I'm located in Victoria, Australia, the Lester is located in New South Wales, Australia. I've done a rough conversion of the price for the benefit of the US majority on the forum. The price in $AUD is $3,700

Scott L

With the added cost to import from the USA, and what duties or taxes are added by your Government, its hard to say if the price is fair or not.

In the USA a 2014 Traditional was $2499 at minimum advertised price. 15 to 20% off is quite commonly found in the way of sales / coupons and negotiation.

Dogamondo

Brand new Trad available in Melbourne, Victoria.....$3400

https://fivestarmusic.com.au/product-category/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson/

Lowest line of pricing - they always say out of stock as it depends on the rather infrequent Gibson shipments, but they often have quite a few Trads or standards in stock.

Thanks for the link mate.

I see this price is for the 2016 Trad's. Are there any noteworthy differences to be aware of between the '16 and '14? (apart from the 12th fret inlay of course ;)

AJCR

Not really that I know of.

The only thing that might have shifted is the weight relief method.....which I've lost track of over the last year or so. The 2013's had a full solid body.....and that might have overlapped into 2014 too.

jalevinemd

$2700 seems pretty high to me for that guitar. I paid $2800 for a mint, used G0 several years back. That was a great guitar. There's one listed on Reverb for $2599. It's got a couple little marks here and there but the seller is open to offers. :salude

KS 5150

Not really that I know of.

The only thing that might have shifted is the weight relief method.....which I've lost track of over the last year or so. The 2013's had a full solid body.....and that might have overlapped into 2014 too.

They had no weight relief from 2013-2015, then traditional (9 hole) weight relief for 2016, then none for 2017 & 2018 as I recall.

Zentar

They had no weight relief from 2013-2015, then traditional (9 hole) weight relief for 2016, then none for 2017 & 2018 as I recall.

Geez. How do you remember all that? You must have a good memory. The only ways I can spot weight relief is by digital scale or simply picking up the guitar. It is pretty easy to spot a guitar over 9lbs by picking it up.

I wish all online sellers would weigh their LPs and list the weight

ajay taylor

As far as the 12th fret anniversary inlay, I have seen them replaced with a standard trapezoid with very good results. Apparently the height of the 120th inlay is very close to a standard 12th fret inlay. I don't have a second Les Paul anymore to take measurements.

fakejake

As far as the 12th fret anniversary inlay, I have seen them replaced with a standard trapezoid with very good results. Apparently the height of the 120th inlay is very close to a standard 12th fret inlay. I don't have a second Les Paul anymore to take measurements.

Exactly! I had this done on one of my guitars recently, my tech charged me around 50$ to change the inlays to Dave Johnson ones. Looks SO MUCH better now!
While you're at it, get some bell knobs and an ABR1, and this guitar will look amazing! I love the mismatched top, the whole guitar has a wonderful Slash vibe imo. :dude:

lvidal

I think its pricey and you can make a wiser decision, save some money and get a better guitar.

About that inlay, only time can tell if these guitars will increase in value because of that. My belief is that it will not, because that have zero effect in tonality and also is an anniversary that doesn’t have any sense to be in the guitar. That number is confusing like if Les Paul models have 120 years of history. Orville didn’t even had anything to do with Les Pauls for this guitars to be celebrating his born anniversary, so it is very odd to have that inlay there.

As for the unevenness of the top, you can’t trust those photos. Flame looks different in different angles, and if in this case it doesn’t match too much I think this one looks really cool the way it is and the burst.

Finally, my recommendation if for you to get a 2017 Traditional as it is the best version done so far. It does have light aluminum tailpiece and ABR bridge wired, a 59er neck profile, rolled fingerboard edges (that’s a BIG PLUS, you’ll love it), no gap in the neck tenon to body, nylon nut (like in the 50s), the pickguard doesn’t come installed, no weight relief body and the Burstbuckers are maybe one of the best Gibson have done so far. You’ll have to buy the switch washer because that’s not included. And that guitar you can find it new from $2,000 to $2,300.

2018 are almost the same but with Tecktoid nut (some Graphtech renaming), and the switch washer included, and the price increased to $2,700, no thanks. Go get a 2017, man.

Dogamondo

I think its pricey and you can make a wiser decision, save some money and get a better guitar.

About that inlay, only time can tell if these guitars will increase in value because of that. My belief is that it will not, because that have zero effect in tonality and also is an anniversary that doesn’t have any sense to be in the guitar. That number is confusing like if Les Paul models have 120 years of history. Orville didn’t even had anything to do with Les Pauls for this guitars to be celebrating his born anniversary, so it is very odd to have that inlay there.

As for the unevenness of the top, you can’t trust those photos. Flame looks different in different angles, and if in this case it doesn’t match too much I think this one looks really cool the way it is and the burst.

Finally, my recommendation if for you to get a 2017 Traditional as it is the best version done so far. It does have light aluminum tailpiece and ABR bridge wired, a 59er neck profile, rolled fingerboard edges (that’s a BIG PLUS, you’ll love it), no gap in the neck tenon to body, nylon nut (like in the 50s), the pickguard doesn’t come installed, no weight relief body and the Burstbuckers are maybe one of the best Gibson have done so far. You’ll have to buy the switch washer because that’s not included. And that guitar you can find it new from $2,000 to $2,300.

2018 are almost the same but with Tecktoid nut (some Graphtech renaming), and the switch washer included, and the price increased to $2,700, no thanks. Go get a 2017, man.

Reading your post filled me with buyers remorse and almost had me convinced to try and get out of the deal. I had put a deposit down on the guitar since starting this thread.

Though now after looking at the 2017 Trads, I must say there's not a finish that I am in love with as much as the subtle flame tobacco burst on this particular 2014.

Everything else I agree with. But I'm starting to come around to the anti-120th inlay club now.

Which leads me to...

Exactly! I had this done on one of my guitars recently, my tech charged me around 50$ to change the inlays to Dave Johnson ones. Looks SO MUCH better now!
While you're at it, get some bell knobs and an ABR1, and this guitar will look amazing! I love the mismatched top, the whole guitar has a wonderful Slash vibe imo. :dude:

This post makes me feel a little better that something can be done if I regret the 120th inlay. And I'm now feeling more comfortable with the mismatched top lol.

Unfortunately I'm now locked in to the guitar and stand to lose 20% of my deposit if I back out.

Oh well, fools rush in.

Having said that, please tell me more about this ABR1 and how it compares to the bridge this 2014 ships with?

Thanks!