• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Very Unmatched 2014 "120" LP Trad - Worth it?

AJCR

Quite frankly, there are so many 'not vintage accurate things' about even the TH line, that going down this particular rabbithole is not worth it......plastics, position of the tailpiece, pickup covers, logo etc are all things that are easily seen as not quite right........moreso for regular Historics......and of course true for the Trad in all its forms.

If you are going to pick up on the very minor detail of looking under the ABR to see how its mounted, it is guaranteed that it will only a matter of time before other details will bug you even if you managed a aged TH.

STOP.....before its too late.

Or the full HM makeover will fully swapped out parts will be the only option.

Dogamondo

What about the used market? Can’t you get some used reissues down there? R8 are excellent options and for the money you are willing to expend in this new guitar maybe you can get an R8 that have the vintage specs you are looking for.

IMHO if I have the money I much more prefer a beaten but in good condition reissue that maybe only needs a refret than any USA model.

Thanks for all your replies lvidal.

I've just rang around some shops in Aus and checked eBay etc. Unfortunately there's nothing in my price range. Looking at $7k - $10k+ for a used R8/9 over here. And the only ones for sale are in cherry and lemon bursts which aren't my thing.

So I've done all the due diligence I can at this stage and have made the call to just go for the 2014 Trad. Paid in full, it's in the mail.

There's a stockist of Montreux parts here in Melbourne where I live, so I might get some of the accessories from there instead of all Gibson official.

Time to start saving for an TH 58 for next year!

Quite frankly, there are so many 'not vintage accurate things' about even the TH line, that going down this particular rabbithole is not worth it......plastics, position of the tailpiece, pickup covers, logo etc are all things that are easily seen as not quite right........moreso for regular Historics......and of course true for the Trad in all its forms.

If you are going to pick up on the very minor detail of looking under the ABR to see how its mounted, it is guaranteed that it will only a matter of time before other details will bug you even if you managed a aged TH.

I hear ya AJ,

Now tell me more about a full HM makeover... ;-)

EDIT: https://historicmakeovers.com/makeover-pricing/ Time to take out a 2nd mortgage

Last edited:

fakejake

I wouldn't view it as that black and white.... even regular historics are pretty accurate imo. The TP position for example is something thats not THAT obvious to most, certainly not as obvious as pink plastics, a Nashville bridge, or swirly inlays.
Personally I came close enough with my modded R8. I've had it for 6 years now, and have no REAL desire for another Les Paul, even though I hang around this forum all the time, looking at pictures of amazing bursts. Sure it's not 100% vintage correct, but I guess most folks can get close enough with a few mods that they have their 50ies LP box checked.

Dogamondo

certainly not as obvious as pink plastics

Jake, keen to know what plastics you ended up going for on your R8?

It seems from the plastics thread you linked upthread that a lot of the guys aren't big fans of the Gibson official plastics as they're too pink. Hence me now looking at Montreux parts.

fakejake

Jake, keen to know what plastics you ended up going for on your R8?

It seems from the plastics thread you linked upthread that a lot of the guys aren't big fans of the Gibson official plastics as they're too pink. Hence me now looking at Montreux parts.

I bought most of my parts from crazyparts.de Germany. Either from the DeadMintClub or Area59 series. I believe these are actually from Japan, so you might be able to get them in Australia as well? Only exception are mypickup rings, which are the 'over the pond' ones fromvintagehaven.co.uk
Really happy the way mine turned out: :peace2
xX4SWYVVPLmXu6VHht1A7eU8gkU-9dSreWv5QBP2F20

Dogamondo

I bought most of my parts from crazyparts.de Germany. Either from the DeadMintClub or Area59 series. I believe these are actually from Japan, so you might be able to get them in Australia as well? Only exception are mypickup rings, which are the 'over the pond' ones fromvintagehaven.co.uk
Really happy the way mine turned out: :peace2
xX4SWYVVPLmXu6VHht1A7eU8gkU-9dSreWv5QBP2F20

The vintage haven rings look great.

Got a pic of the R8?

fakejake

The R8 is the one in the picture. It was a plaintop sunburst originally, but it has had a makeover as well, during which it was refinished in gold.

AJCR

I wouldn't view it as that black and white.... even regular historics are pretty accurate imo. The TP position for example is something thats not THAT obvious to most, certainly not as obvious as pink plastics, a Nashville bridge, or swirly inlays.
Personally I came close enough with my modded R8. I've had it for 6 years now, and have no REAL desire for another Les Paul, even though I hang around this forum all the time, looking at pictures of amazing bursts. Sure it's not 100% vintage correct, but I guess most folks can get close enough with a few mods that they have their 50ies LP box checked.

But for others (the picky ones) these things stand out. I cringe when I see the R6's and the like with the non lowered logo......and every historic with a wholly inaccurate logo.

It really doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum, as long as you are happy......but the OP in a few short weeks has gone from '14 trad with some minor cosmetic nods to a vintage LP, to wanting a more recent trad to get rid of the anniversary inlay to considering spending 4x as much to get a regular historic.....all degrees of pickiness based on vintage accuracy.
Where does it stop......he seems to be 'accelerating', and pointing out that (to someone becoming increasingly picky) historics are not all that accurate will hopefully deadend the slide.

fakejake

But for others (the picky ones) these things stand out. I cringe when I see the R6's and the like with the non lowered logo......and every historic with a wholly inaccurate logo.

It really doesn't matter where you are on the spectrum, as long as you are happy......but the OP in a few short weeks has gone from '14 trad with some minor cosmetic nods to a vintage LP, to wanting a more recent trad to get rid of the anniversary inlay to considering spending 4x as much to get a regular historic.....all degrees of pickiness based on vintage accuracy.
Where does it stop......he seems to be 'accelerating', and pointing out that (to someone becoming increasingly picky) historics are not all that accurate will hopefully deadend the slide.

Granted. With all thats being written in this thread, I'd like to say I'm pertty certain that '14 trad is a great guitar.
Most of the things that were mentioned are cosmetic only, and its easy to get anal about them when you hang around this forum long enough.
I play a lot and I'd say I'm a decent player, and for me honestly my Epiphone LP (which was my first guitar) does 95% of what the R8 makeover does.
If I had spend all the time practicing instead of reading up on guitars online, I'd be a much better player....
Enjoy your new guitar, chances are it is a wonderful instrument

lvidal

Man, after all the things said the best advice I can tell you is this:

At first just forget all about the vintage correct things. Put your mind in a blank canvas. Pretend that you just received the guitar as a surprise gift. Setup to your liking just as you will receive it. Don’t change nothing yet if everything works well. Feel her. Know her. Find her sweet spots. Just after you have some time playing it and when you think you “know her” then consider to make changes. Chances are that inlay will no bother you anymore and you don’t even think about it. Maybe you’ll love it. Chances are you’ll be really happy with her and only change a thing or two.

Remember this: that is your guitar, not Jimmy Page’s or Joe Perry’s. It doesn’t matter if is a newer model, that doesn’t make it bad it is just a little different. Make it yours. If tomorrow Page plays a borrowed 2014 Trad and like it a lot and make it his #1 everybody would be making things up about those guitars :hank.

AJCR

^ This is good advice here.

The main parts of the guitar that can really make a difference are the easily replaced electrical parts. The cosmetics are something seen only by you when the guitar is on the stand.......ok, or when you're posing in front of the mirror;-)
You generally only hear the guitar when playing. So focus on that first as the above post says.

Then get the sound right as the first step if you do feel like some changes. But you'll need a good few months for the honeymoon phase to wear off.

Dogamondo

Sound advice guys, thanks.

Just got off the phone from some old guy with a strange english accent, wants to borrow the Trad for reunion jam with some guy Plant?

Told him to buy his own '14.

Dogamondo

NGD!

First pics upon arrival...

Looks nothing like the pics the shop sent lol. Definitely a burst at some angles, then back to looking like a plain-top on others!

fakejake

Looks stunning, congrats!
Nice case as well.
How does is sound and play?

Dogamondo

Well just my luck... started to fall in love with the damn thing and there it is.

It's a Les Paul "Mode".

Not cool, Gibson.

AJCR

Well, there is something 'vintage accurate' that you'd only ever get with an HM.....the rubbed off script due to the vintage method of the silkscreen over the clear.

Dogamondo

Well, there is something 'vintage accurate' that you'd only ever get with an HM.....the rubbed off script due to the vintage method of the silkscreen over the clear.

Hah! I love your optimism AJCR!

Though I'm sure after getting a glimpse into my pedantic traits over the last fortnight, it will come as no surprise that the LP "Mode" triggers my OCD to the stratosphere and back.

Thus the trad (although a beauty) is packed back up in its box ready to go back to the shop.

Good news is, I can now say I've owned a trad and am ready to upgrade to a historic ;-)

Jericbrazier

High 2k’s is really high for a traditional. FYI, the anniversary (2014) models aren’t holding their value as much as others. I don’t know if the “mode” will affect resale. I imagine it would.
Its a beautiful guitar, but if it were me, I’d pass. There are waaay better deals.
I looked on Reverb and 90% of the ‘14 Traditionals are <$2k.
I just finished a 6 mo Lester search. At times it was very frustrating, but I ended up with a great axe for $1050.
Btw, isn’t the font on the anniversary different, I.e. Les’ signs different and it says 100 on it.