• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A makeover for loose weight?

Evol

A makeover to loose weight?

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie here.
I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom 57 BB from 2001.
I've upgraded with new PUs, pots, caps and hardware... it sounds good but... I think it's a little bit heavy! (9,9 lbs).
In a few words: the european market it's strange now and I can't sell it for a new lightweight one.
I ask your opinion: a complete makeover (neck re-shape and top re-shape) it's good to loose weight? Also change tuners? (Govers/Waffleback).
Sorry for my poor english...

Last edited:

Tommy Tourbus

Shouldn't effect weight, they'd have to remove wood. You could put an aluminum tailpiece on it if it has a zinc one on it now. That would make it a couple ounces lighter

fakejake

You won't loose a ot of weight by recarving the neck and top.
What you could do during the course of a makeover, is remove the top and then chamber the body. Pretty drastic but it would work, especially if you go for a recarve and complete refin anyway.
Uness its your dream guitar in every other respect, I'd sell it and buy a lighter one.
BTW 9.9 lbs isn't THAT much imo....

zhivago

If you have Grovers, switching to waffle backs should take a bit of weight off...still, it is debatable how noticeable that would actually be.

Maxmc

Are you a gigging musician? Are you in a band? Do you play standing up or sitting down? If you're just a bedroom guitarist ( nothing wrong with that ), then the weight should be of no consequence.

fakejake

Are you a gigging musician? Are you in a band? Do you play standing up or sitting down? If you're just a bedroom guitarist ( nothing wrong with that ), then the weight should be of no consequence.

I disagree with that. I sold 2 otherwise wonderful guitars because they were body-heavy and in constant imbalance when playing sitting down without a strap. At the same time, they were really heavy overall and uncomfortable when using a strap, either sitting down or standing up. If you play/ practice a good 2hs a day (which I did when I was in school/ at uni, though not a professional musician) weight can be an issue.

El Gringo

This is just my 2 cents , but such a drastic makeover will be costly and I am afraid the cost will outweigh any benefit you might possibly receive in trying to shed some weight .From your description and the upgrades in parts that you have made sounds like this is a wonderful Les Paul Custom .May I kindly ask about the pickups and parts that you used as I would be interested in the choices in parts that you made . A very long time ago (25 years ) I had a Les Paul that I did not care for the color of the sunburst (Heritage Cherry ) and I enquired about getting it refinished and I was wisely told that if I wanted to do that I should just trade the guitar in question towards another one that was more to my likening .The advice was spot on as I kept the guitar and it's value intact because once you go make major changes such as refinishes and shaving or removing wood -the value will forever be changed .I kid you not .I also can appreciate your situation because of your geographic location . I am not telling you what to do , except maybe put this thought aside for a bit and try to appreciate the wonderful upgrades that you made to your Les Paul Custom as I myself did the same thing last summer with one of my Les Paul's and will be changing the wiring harness and pickups soon with another one of my Les Paul's and it certainly does create a whole new soundscape which is truly magical in tone to the ears . I would consider changing the tailpiece to a lighter weigh aluminum tailpiece and maybe the tuners which I think you said are Grovers ,but the issue with that would be that the Grovers are one of the best tuners out there , and if you go to the plastic tulip tip Kusons the holes will not line up .There are replacement tuners that do line up with Grovers and I can't remember them at the moment . I would like to hear what you do decide to do .

RocknRollShakeUp

I would also recommend selling it, because the money you lose based on it being a difficult market right now, will still be less then the money you spend on a drastic make over that would chamber the guitar. The value of the modified and made over guitar will also then be likely much lower than what you end up putting into it.

I would then look for one that has a weight that you prefer. Maybe even a Chambered Reissue, or a used Wildwood featherweight (if you can find one). I have two WW featherweights, an ebony R7 and a goldtop R4, both under 8 lbs and I love them, tone wise and weight wise.

Good luck!

P.Walker

leave it alone.
sell it.
go to the gym.

some combination of the above.

Evol

I have already installed an aluminum stoptail.
Perhaps what weighs most is the Gover pat.pend. vintage and I could go back to stock (but we talk about little weight).
In fact I did not expect miracles from a Makeover: I know Florian Jaeger re-shape the neck according to the 50s specs, the same for the topcarve.
The market in Italy is difficult: a CC is sold more quickly than an old Historic...

Progrocker111

Dont forget that after such drastic mods the guitar will be practically unsellable...

Sell it or get used to it, comon man - 9.9 lbs isnt really that much :dude:

Hotshot

Consider that it will sound different after you hack it up and you may hate it. It’s also a very labourios job to do right. Lots of smart comments on here. Sell it and get a lighter one. An older dried out piece of wood ( non pancake ) would seem to fit.

Also, consider the light ones, Specials, etc.

herb

My mantra all my life has been keep your guitars in original condition. Maybe a pickup or tuner change, or perhaps a tailpiece. Nothing that can't be changed back to original except with a little solder. If you can't do this, sell or swap it. I've been doing this guitar thing for quite some time and I know I've at least broke even probably because of my overall strategy. Don't hack up guitars. They will become a chain around your neck.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Use a No.1 stretch strap. :ganz

Has worked for me for 30+ years. :dude:

wait rose

Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar weighed 13.5 pounds, and he needed to self-medicate; clearly a dangerous situation

67blackcherry

As others have said, a 9.9lb Custom isn't that bad at all.
My #1, an '88 Standard, is a porky 10.1lbs and I've got no problem playing four sets a night.
If you can't live with it then sell it, I'd advise against any mods.