NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

A makeover to loose weight?

Hi folks,
    I'm a newbie here.
    I own a Gibson Les Paul Custom 57 BB from 2001.
    I've upgraded with new PUs, pots, caps and hardware... it sounds good but... I think it's a little bit heavy! (9,9 lbs).
    In a few words: the european market it's strange now and I can't sell it for a new lightweight one.
    I ask your opinion: a complete makeover (neck re-shape and top re-shape) it's good to loose weight? Also change tuners? (Govers/Waffleback).
    Sorry for my poor english...
    Last edited by Evol; 05-16-18 at 12:13 PM.

Re: A makeover for loose weight?

Shouldn't effect weight, they'd have to remove wood. You could put an aluminum tailpiece on it if it has a zinc one on it now. That would make it a couple ounces lighter
    My Gibsons: 2018 LP '59 Historic, 2018 LP Jr '58 Historic, 2018 LP/SG Historic, 2016 Firebird I '63 Historic, 2015 Firebird III '64 Historic, 2011 ES-335 Wrap-Tail '59 Historic, 2011 LP Special '60 Historic, 2001 Thunderbird bass
    Quote Originally Posted by 82 Silverburst View Post
    What I see on this forum more and more is akin to little girls playing dress up with their dolls, getting them ready for some tea party.

You won't loose a ot of weight by recarving the neck and top.
    What you could do during the course of a makeover, is remove the top and then chamber the body. Pretty drastic but it would work, especially if you go for a recarve and complete refin anyway.
    Uness its your dream guitar in every other respect, I'd sell it and buy a lighter one.
    BTW 9.9 lbs isn't THAT much imo....

If you have Grovers, switching to waffle backs should take a bit of weight off...still, it is debatable how noticeable that would actually be.
    1956 Les Paul Custom or 1961 Fender Jazzmaster > Matchless Lightning or Zvex Nano
    Klon Centaur, ToneCzar EchoCzar with Angelbaby, Zvex Fuzz Factory / Octane 3 / Loop Junky / BOM / Wah Probe / SD2IN1, BJFE MH4K
    1943 Martin 000-28 or 1952 Gibson J50

Are you a gigging musician? Are you in a band? Do you play standing up or sitting down? If you're just a bedroom guitarist ( nothing wrong with that ), then the weight should be of no consequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmc View Post
    Are you a gigging musician? Are you in a band? Do you play standing up or sitting down? If you're just a bedroom guitarist ( nothing wrong with that ), then the weight should be of no consequence.
    I disagree with that. I sold 2 otherwise wonderful guitars because they were body-heavy and in constant imbalance when playing sitting down without a strap. At the same time, they were really heavy overall and uncomfortable when using a strap, either sitting down or standing up. If you play/ practice a good 2hs a day (which I did when I was in school/ at uni, though not a professional musician) weight can be an issue.

Les Paul Forum Member

This is just my 2 cents , but such a drastic makeover will be costly and I am afraid the cost will outweigh any benefit you might possibly receive in trying to shed some weight .From your description and the upgrades in parts that you have made sounds like this is a wonderful Les Paul Custom .May I kindly ask about the pickups and parts that you used as I would be interested in the choices in parts that you made . A very long time ago (25 years ) I had a Les Paul that I did not care for the color of the sunburst (Heritage Cherry ) and I enquired about getting it refinished and I was wisely told that if I wanted to do that I should just trade the guitar in question towards another one that was more to my likening .The advice was spot on as I kept the guitar and it's value intact because once you go make major changes such as refinishes and shaving or removing wood -the value will forever be changed .I kid you not .I also can appreciate your situation because of your geographic location . I am not telling you what to do , except maybe put this thought aside for a bit and try to appreciate the wonderful upgrades that you made to your Les Paul Custom as I myself did the same thing last summer with one of my Les Paul's and will be changing the wiring harness and pickups soon with another one of my Les Paul's and it certainly does create a whole new soundscape which is truly magical in tone to the ears . I would consider changing the tailpiece to a lighter weigh aluminum tailpiece and maybe the tuners which I think you said are Grovers ,but the issue with that would be that the Grovers are one of the best tuners out there , and if you go to the plastic tulip tip Kusons the holes will not line up .There are replacement tuners that do line up with Grovers and I can't remember them at the moment . I would like to hear what you do decide to do .

I would also recommend selling it, because the money you lose based on it being a difficult market right now, will still be less then the money you spend on a drastic make over that would chamber the guitar. The value of the modified and made over guitar will also then be likely much lower than what you end up putting into it.

I would then look for one that has a weight that you prefer. Maybe even a Chambered Reissue, or a used Wildwood featherweight (if you can find one). I have two WW featherweights, an ebony R7 and a goldtop R4, both under 8 lbs and I love them, tone wise and weight wise.

Good luck!

leave it alone.
    sell it.
    go to the gym.

some combination of the above.

I have already installed an aluminum stoptail.
    Perhaps what weighs most is the Gover pat.pend. vintage and I could go back to stock (but we talk about little weight).
    In fact I did not expect miracles from a Makeover: I know Florian Jaeger re-shape the neck according to the 50s specs, the same for the topcarve.
    The market in Italy is difficult: a CC is sold more quickly than an old Historic...

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Dont forget that after such drastic mods the guitar will be practically unsellable...

Sell it or get used to it, comon man - 9.9 lbs isnt really that much
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2018 Gibson Les Paul Custom 1957 Historic
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Consider that it will sound different after you hack it up and you may hate it. It’s also a very labourios job to do right. Lots of smart comments on here. Sell it and get a lighter one. An older dried out piece of wood ( non pancake ) would seem to fit.

Also, consider the light ones, Specials, etc.

Les Paul Forum Member

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...ghlight=weight

I can't play a ten lb guitar. I even switched to plastic bobbin pickups to save 4 ozs. Stewmac will list the weight of tuners. A scratch plate weighs an oz.
    Use a light strap.

You may need to trade guitars even if you lose money.
    8.2lbs is about as light as a Standard gets.

My mantra all my life has been keep your guitars in original condition. Maybe a pickup or tuner change, or perhaps a tailpiece. Nothing that can't be changed back to original except with a little solder. If you can't do this, sell or swap it. I've been doing this guitar thing for quite some time and I know I've at least broke even probably because of my overall strategy. Don't hack up guitars. They will become a chain around your neck.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Use a No.1 stretch strap.

Has worked for me for 30+ years.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Jerry Garcia's Tiger guitar weighed 13.5 pounds, and he needed to self-medicate; clearly a dangerous situation

Les Paul Forum Member 57Strat777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Use a No.1 stretch strap.

Has worked for me for 30+ years.

Hi Tom - this strap has my interest. Who makes it. Do you happen to have a link? Thanks in advance!

Les Paul Forum Member 68Charger's Avatar

If I remember correctly from my days of working in a guitar shop, I believe the No.1 Stretch straps are made by Levy's.

Here is one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leather.../dp/B003GY776M

Les Paul Forum Member 67blackcherry's Avatar

As others have said, a 9.9lb Custom isn't that bad at all.
    My #1, an '88 Standard, is a porky 10.1lbs and I've got no problem playing four sets a night.
    If you can't live with it then sell it, I'd advise against any mods.
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    A bunch of Cunetto Relics
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele