• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

new DC Problem??

NOSBIG

Hi guys, just bought a new TV yellow DC with p 90;s. I get harmonic sustain on almost all of the 'A' notes.It gets worse as I go up the board.
Also if I tap the guitar the tuner shows 'A' too!!
Any ideas please?
Thanks

jhmp

I had an upper end semi hollow that I sent back for a few reasons, but one of them was the 'A' thing.
It had huge overcompensated sustain on most every 'A' note , which would probably excite a lot of people, but all the other notes were just so so. If every song was in A it would have been a keeper. I found it annoying and odd. - I'm sure I'll be ridiculed for such blasphemy.
You're the first to describe a similar experience. There are a lot of guitars out there, don't keep it if you're not happy.

thejaf

My first smartass thought was: tune it down a half step :hee

Acoustics do this too (classical), but usually not just one note, rather a few mathematically similar notes.

Tommy Tourbus

I had an SG that emitted a bunch of funky overtones especially in the upper register. It was as if it was haunted LOL

derekisadomino

Does it help if you lower the pickup pole pieces on the E,A, and D strings?
i only say this because sometimes they seem to resonate more than the other strings through the body. Hope that helps!