• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What effect does light exposure have on Goldtop finishes?

Tweety

You can see the "tan lines" on my 58 Goldtop; the guitar in a previous life was heavily exposed to cigarette smoke; and the clear coat is heavily yellowed; though has very little greening. I also have a 53 Goldtop, the color is slightly lighter; the clear coat has yellowed far less..though shows more greening. They all age differently and for me that is part of the fun of Goldtops!

Beautiful 58 Tim, I've been after one of those or a 57 for while. Both guitars look so cool, thanks for posting

MapleFlame

All the above absulutely effects color. Another Variance is the batches of gold/bronze powder the got, varied a bit. My friend Larry who has help me restore guitars has some original powder from Gibson, 50's and 60' just a tad different. Also in many cases, the gold spray could have had a run in it, so Gibson would respray. I've had 295's and LP's that had multiple layers. Each clear May have varied as well.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
All the above absulutely effects color. Another Variance is the batches of gold/bronze powder the got, varied a bit. My friend Larry who has help me restore guitars has some original powder from Gibson, 50's and 60' just a tad different. Also in many cases, the gold spray could have had a run in it, so Gibson would respray. I've had 295's and LP's that had multiple layers. Each clear May have varied as well.

At least with modern manufacturing techniques, we do not have to buy such inferior guitars anymore. :yah
:ganz