• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is guitar dying?

Texas Blues

Guitar isn't dead.

Robert Johnson.

Chuck Berry.

Eric Clapton.

Jimi Hendrix.

Jimmy Page.

Edward Van Halen.

et. al.

Its just been a while since we've had a new Messiah.

Jazzfinger

Maybe a little but not much. People are easily distracted and have more entertainment options. Until just recently a person could get really bored on a Sunday night or any night during the dead of winter. These days there is more content to watch and things to experience just on your iphone alone.

It's kind of like when someone tells you "all of that drinking and smoking is killing your brain cells" and you reply "yeah, but only the weak ones"

The weak ones, that's the segment of the guitar market that is dying a little. It's kind of like little league baseball. Everyone plays at 5 or 6 but by high school most have been eliminated. Would the sport be better or worse without all of the scrubs that lacked ability or interest....Probably not. The bat and glove makers might sell a few less items to 5 and 6 year olds but the sales to more advanced players that need for gear will continue.

Same goes for guitar, a good portions of people serious about being good at usic will still choose the guitar because it's probably the most expressive and individually unique instrument.

class5lp

I dont think its fair to say that the guitar is dying as an instrument. What is dying badly to an almost non existent degree is the singer/songwriter. Forget weather or not you like the a any of the singer/songwriters below. I used them as a reference only to compare them to the stuff you hear on the radio today. The artist's below music is timeless and will be heard 100 years from now. Nothing you hear on the radio today will be heard 10 years from now. So why are there no more singer/song writers? Most store owners will tell you kids dont take lessons anymore and guitar/piano lessons are replaced today with sports and video games. The ones that do take lessons are doing it over the computer or some other form of media and just play music but dont hone in on the craft of writing.

Dylan
America
Lightfoot
Croce
Browne
Young
Petty
Springsteen
Cale
Cash
Lennon/McCartney
Simon/Garfunkel
Taylor
Mitchell
Diamond
Bread
Carpenters
Clapton

Doc Sausage

A while since we had a new Messiah? Joe B is appalled! LOL. Hell, he's even made money with the dang thing. Wilko said it, you can't let the big box store that over extended themselves trying to cash in - and create a craze, dictate the real sentiment. Just because they couldn't turn X number of 'units' over algorithmic sales matrixes, doesn't mean their guitar is dead. Their marketing model is dead!:salude

renderit

Quite true! If Pyryem's Axis is applied to the root and extrapolated to the full intent what a wonderful model we would have! Long live the newer model!

ourmaninthenorth

Classical music is dead, nobody writes letters anymore, the kids are all snowflakes, things ain't what they used to be, the world is broken...blah blah blah, et al and ad infinitum....

What did we all do before we had the internet to both describe and predict the end of the bloody world on a daily basis?

Is guitar dying...?? not in my fooking hands it isn't.

Algorithms...??? do me a bleedin favour...

Here's how to stop the bleeding...pick up a guitar...et voila - guitar playing in all it's glory.

My musical heroes may indeed be dead, their music isn't.

Shit on the radio? Turn the fucker off and put a record on, take some control of the incoming mail.

Schubert has been gone awhile, still hear him in my house - weird eh?

Stop counting your money, and count your blessings.

This is on our shift Gentlemen, if it's waning, it's on Us, we simply haven't carried the message well enough.

Last edited:

Texas Blues

Not guitar but the effin religion and capitalism is having a serious whack at humanity.

Religion.

Man's idea of coming to GOD.

Wear the hat.

Or some kine'o special gown.

Grow a beard.

Kneel on a piece of carpet that hasn't seen shampoo in 6 years.

Blow cigar smoke and rum on a chicken you just decapitated.

I don't care what anyone believes or doesn't believe.

I know a Jewish guy with a Mexican name.

He's cool AF!

As far as capitalism is concerned...

We all have the right to live.

As poorly or richly as we so desire.

Some of us are good at math.

Most people I meet every day can't count their toes.

They need to take a foot selfie. and use their bat phone math app.

I love my life.

I love Texas.

Alaska.

Hawaii.

I love being a musician.

If I don't wake up tomorrow.

Have mercy!

That'll mean I don't have to cook and clean anymore.

And the fishing will be better.

Yeah.

Jesus likes to fish too.

T.Allen

...No discussions about politics, religion...

Just a friendly reminder folks.

cincyguitar

It sure seems all the video demos on youtube are starting to sound alike....and not in a good way...Those Marshall Origin videos....really...players sounding the same...:dang