• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

All Gold

guitplayer

I saw this all gold GT 1954 and this paint bleed over
onto the binding /neck area. Look like a refin?
:hmm

JIMI55LP

I saw this all gold GT 1954 and this paint bleed over
onto the binding /neck area. Look like a refin?
:hmm
Sure doesn't look like the binding was scraped before clear coat? It really does look like a repair.

Wally

One would not want to scrape off any of that yellowed lacquer on that binding, would one?

JJ Blair

It's hard to tell from this pic alone if it's a refin. Binding scraping was a very imprecise art, and you will very different looking edges from guitar to guitar. Also, there are a small handful of ninjas out there than can replicate the finish and aging process so well, that you'd have a very hard time determining a refin. Somebody was selling a GT on eBay that I refin'd. I guess the last owner did not tell him it was a top refin, and when I contacted the guy to inform him, he did not believe me, and that was not even my best work. That was my first attempt at a GT.

sws1

It's hard to tell from this pic alone if it's a refin. Binding scraping was a very imprecise art, and you will very different looking edges from guitar to guitar. Also, there are a small handful of ninjas out there than can replicate the finish and aging process so well, that you'd have a very hard time determining a refin. Somebody was selling a GT on eBay that I refin'd. I guess the last owner did not tell him it was a top refin, and when I contacted the guy to inform him, he did not believe me, and that was not even my best work. That was my first attempt at a GT.

I'm assuming you refin'd it to black light properly, and that's one reason why it wasn't caught.

JJ Blair

I'm assuming you refin'd it to black light properly, and that's one reason why it wasn't caught.

Nope. He just didn't bother blacklighting it, I guess.

I'm not doing this type of thing for people anymore. This is the second time somebody's sold a guitar I refin'd without disclosing the work.

sws1

Nope. He just didn't bother blacklighting it, I guess.

I'm not doing this type of thing for people anymore. This is the second time somebody's sold a guitar I refin'd without disclosing the work.

Kudos to you for doing the ethical thing.