• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

52 Goldtop ... Spike!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Here's a beautiful, first version 52 Goldtop that I sold at Dallas.

1427_small.JPG

The owner built his own vibrato and bridge to replace the original tailpiece. It was mounted with cork padding and did not leave an imprint.

1420_small.jpg

And he had his nickname engraved on the vibrato ... Spike! :)

1421_small.jpg

It had the original receipt [not shown, for privacy reasons] from Jenkins Music in Wichita Kansas.
It also had the guitar's hangtag.

1422_small.jpg

And, it had the original case hangtag for the Faultless 535 Les Paul case.

1426_small.jpg

It played and sounded great and was a fine collector's AND player's guitar. :dude:

goldtop0

Good to see Tom..........and that's a pretty good deal you gave him on the case too......only $39.50:lol

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
So, it was $210 + $39.50 = $249.50 Add 2% tax [$4.99] and the total was $254.49.
Late September, 1952.
I was 8, going on 9 ... months old. :spabout

moonweasel

Good to see Tom..........and that's a pretty good deal you gave him on the case too......only $39.50:lol

NOT a good deal. $366.18 in today's dollars!!!

:)

Gibson used to charge a fortune for cases back in the day. Was the same in the late 60's. This Goldtop would be $1971.74 in today's dollars without its case.

latestarter

Here's a beautiful, first version 52 Goldtop that I sold at Dallas.

The owner built his own vibrato and bridge to replace the original tailpiece. It was mounted with cork padding and did not leave an imprint.

And he had his nickname engraved on the vibrato ... Spike! :)

1421_small.jpg

It had the original receipt [not shown, for privacy reasons] from Jenkins Music in Wichita Kansas.
It also had the guitar's hangtag.

And, it had the original case hangtag for the Faultless 535 Les Paul case.

It played and sounded great and was a fine collector's AND player's guitar. :dude:

And what a cool as thing that he built his own trem! Good to hear it is a great player too. Spike shoulda had a Patent done!

Frutiger

Very cool guitar and cool hang tag too - I've never seen one with the 'OPS' section and without the guarantee at the bottom. :salude

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
NOT a good deal. $366.18 in today's dollars!!!

:)

Gibson used to charge a fortune for cases back in the day. Was the same in the late 60's. This Goldtop would be $1971.74 in today's dollars without its case.

I'd say that case price today would be a bargain ... a super clean 1952 Les Paul case for only $366.18!!

And you might also note ... in 1959 the rectangular Fender case cost more than the shaped Gibson case. :ganz

JIMI55LP

At the Dallas show last weekend. :)
The strangest thing is that Witchita was selling an "unbound" in late Sept. 1952? I guess they didn't have a very big sales run on the Gibson GTs there as this was 3 months after release dates. Very nice custom trem.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The strangest thing is that Witchita was selling an "unbound" in late Sept. 1952? I guess they didn't have a very big sales run on the Gibson GTs there as this was 3 months after release dates. Very nice custom trem.

I have seen so many guitars that were sold [new] well after their build date, that I hesitate to guess the reason. There are many possibilities.
This was Jenkins Music with 6+ branches around the Midwest and maybe Wichita was a "lessor" store in that chain. I think Kansas City MO was the headquarters. They were also in Topeka, KC Kansas, Tulsa and others.
Maybe a salesman hoarded it until forced to buy or put it back on the for sale rack.
Who knows. :)

If Gibson would release its old logs and ledgers to public view, we might have better ideas. :rolleyes

goldtop0

I heard that Leo got wind of this new boy on the block and paid 'em all not to display 'em:wah:lol

JIMI55LP

My thoughts were more along an unbound being sold months after the wide release of the bound models with all the changes? I'm not thinking most at that date would be thinking they wanted to older model since I see so many altered to look like newer models? Very nice looking unbound with close attention to preservation with low impact on the reversible alterations! Thanks for sharing the photos.