• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bad Tuners on Epiphone Les Paul?

cincyguitar

I know this has probably been discussed somewhere on Forum but....I was playing my 90's Epi....jamming good...bent the G string hard and the whole string came unwound and loose from the tuners....first time for me...I thought I had broke it...I hate to buy new tuners for it..where is the best deal for them?..Thanks guys!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
......bent the G string hard and the whole string came unwound and loose from the tuners....first time for me...I thought I had broke it...I hate to buy new tuners for it..where is the best deal for them?..Thanks guys!

What you describe does not sound like a problem with the tuning key. :hmm

cincyguitar

I have replaced it with a Gibson...but still like to play that Epi sometimes....its funny..I have done lots of string bending...string has never came unwound on guitar like that before...guitar is back in closet now...still think it is a bad tuner...since one of the others cracked and broke. too..lol...gonna stick with playing the Gibson...thanks guys!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I have replaced it with a Gibson...but still like to play that Epi sometimes....its funny..I have done lots of string bending...string has never came unwound on guitar like that before...guitar is back in closet now...still think it is a bad tuner...since one of the others cracked and broke. too..lol...gonna stick with playing the Gibson...thanks guys!

Are you saying the post turned around [by itself, from bending] enough times for the string to come out of the post? I have never had a tuner do that in 40+ years of owning a guitar store.
I don't see any other way this could have been caused by the tuner. :hmm

cincyguitar

Thanks Tom for answering....i have been playing for 50 years...and it has never happened to me before....I did give that 3rd string a super heavy bend...got the guitar back out today...gonna take it easy on that g string...so far so good...maybe it wont happen again...:biggrin:

cincyguitar

I use Ernie Ball slinkys 10-46...they sound good...but that guitar will not stay in tune..I put it back in the case...may try some new strings later...so glad I have a newer Les Paul Trad Pro that stays in tune good.....done with Epis...:rofl

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
While this may sound condescending, it is not intended that way and comes from decades of experience:

Most tuning issues start with how the string is attached to the post.
After that, it is the method of tuning [such as: always tighten the string to the correct pitch, never loosen to the correct pitch].

And finally, it has nothing to do with Epiphone.
If it really is the keys, just replace them, not the guitar. :ganz