• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Don Mare pickups

goldtop0

A buddy of mine in the US has Don Mare pups in one of his Teles so I have to ask the question cos I want to know........what set of Don's pickups would be way better than the Fender Nocaster set I have in my Tele.
You see I have this partscaster that I a/b'd against a buddy's reissue '08 Nocaster and his was much more twangy in the middle and bridge.

DeTerminator

You might want to call him up. That's what I did when I wanted to upgrade the stock pickups on my '52 Reissue. He was about to enter the local grocery store at the time, but we did talk more later. I ended up with the Magnificent 7, I think they are. I'm happy with them. Check out the Telecaster Forum as well, in their pickup section. Members there have contributed their comments on Don Mare's, and others. Good luck!

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have a Formvar 50’s set in my Strat and a Donocaster Tele in my parts built Esquire. Both are amazing to my ears at capturing the airiness and expression in a Vintage Fender pickup. I also have an 10k 0038 which is Dons take on an old lap wrap Tele with 43 gauge wire. It’s in my parts drawer because it’s a bit on the dark side and drives the amp too much for old country twang. But if you wanna rock

straightblues

I have several sets of Don Mare pickups. A great winder with great ears. He ended my quest for vintage Strat and Tele tones. Next level stuff imho.

chipss36

Been running The white o tones, in a strat,
like them very much, the bridge is the best strat bridge pickup
i have ever played, it was marked neck, but looking at inductance and resistance
readings I swapped neck and bridge,
i never used the bridge pu much clean, but now I sure do, gets a almost Telly like thing,
chicken picking lovley thing and at all bright or shrill.
a first for me.

have formvar 50s on order, been a quite few months now...I am sure I will get some day.
stellar pickups but not for the impatient.

Big Mike Blues

Best tele pickups on the planet. Man has the magic touch.

My fave is the 'el black crowe' bridge.

Big Mike Blues

Been running The white o tones, in a strat,
like them very much, the bridge is the best strat bridge pickup
i have ever played, it was marked neck, but looking at inductance and resistance
readings I swapped neck and bridge,
i never used the bridge pu much clean, but now I sure do, gets a almost Telly like thing,
chicken picking lovley thing and at all bright or shrill.
a first for me.

have formvar 50s on order, been a quite few months now...I am sure I will get some day.
stellar pickups but not for the impatient.

That's what happens when these hand winders get busy.
If you're not the patient sort, find something in the Seymour catalog IMO.
or Fralin for Teles.

RocknRollShakeUp

Any clips with his bridge pickups using a cleaner tone, where some countrish twang is happening? I hear more overdriven rocknroll tones, that are stellar, but I'm not hearing much classic clean bridge tele tones.

herb

I've been sitting on a set of Buchanons for a few years. I don't want to mess with the Tele I have as it has a set of Lollars that I really like. Guess I better buy another Tele.

MMars

I ordered a set of pickups from Don’s website a few months ago.

http://www.buckcannon.com/

I paid, he had initially replied and then stopped replying. Haven’t heard from him for weeks despite my reaching out to him repeatedly.

Does anyone know if he is doing OK?