• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

History of Les Paul Standard's with factory Bigsby B5?

jm55

I'm eyeing what would be my first Gibson Les Paul Standard, a 2000, with aftermarket Bigsby B5. I've had two Gibson's prior, an SG, and a Flying V. I've played the Les Paul I'm thinking about, and really like it. Almost certainly will be buying it, but I'm curious about the history of LP's with factory installed B5's. In my internet reading over the last two days, I was sure I found a reference to some golden era LP's coming factory with the B5, as unusual as that might be, but can no longer find that reference. So, can anyone fill me in on the earliest known case of an LP being installed with a B5, and perhaps what other years this might have been seen, if at all? I'm just curious.

jm55

After some deeper reading, and re-reading, I'm not so sure Les Paul's ever came stock with a B5. The closest I found was two examples here:

http://www.burstserial.com/index.php?/search/259

...first two on second row, which appear to be from 1960, but there's no indication they were factory installed. Also, the first one appears to be incorrectly installed, which leads me to believe it was not factory. I'm still curious, but I'm going with the theory that no LP's came factory with a B5.

SpencerD

I've never really thought about that.

Some of the cats who post here will more than likely know if any Les Pauls had factory installed Bigsbys. I'm going to stay tuned to this thread. :peace2

EDIT -- I'm a huge Bigsby fanboi too. Full disclosure and all that! I put them on two of my Les Pauls. They certainly didn't have them new.

Last edited:

jm55

I bought the Bigsby B5 equipped LP. The Bigsby is far more stable in tuning than I might have imagined. Still reasonably confident the B5 never came factory, but I like it.

Big Al

Makes no difference in your case, right? That ain't no 59 now is it? You are not restoring a 50's. It's not a 50's reissue so.... ? What it is is a 18 year old Standard in clean condition with a pretty sunburst and a previous owner with the brains and taste to Vibramate a B5 on. A smart and sound move. I have several so equipted, some B7's but mostly B5's.

Oh, several 50's Bursts had factory B5's, not as common as B7's but again, so what.:2cool

jm55

True enough. Just curious about the history of B5's and Les Paul's. I'd keep the B5 even if there were no known examples of early or even late LP's with B5's, just because it works so well on this guitar. I'm completely new to Les Paul's, and just getting myself up to speed.

Big Al

True enough. Just curious about the history of B5's and Les Paul's. I'd keep the B5 even if there were no known examples of early or even late LP's with B5's, just because it works so well on this guitar. I'm completely new to Les Paul's, and just getting myself up to speed.

The B7 and B5 function the same. Using a Vibramate, IMO, there is nothing other than looks to distinguish between them with the B5 being more elegant and fits better.

If you wish to capture a more authentic vibe with a B7 It is very easy to remove and replace with a Vibramate/B7 or stock stop bar.

Just about every piece of hardware can be replaced with vintage 50's replica parts including inlays and bindings!! It is your choice to make. Any way you go will be right.