• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help me pick a 3rd guitar: 57 Historic Junior or 61 SG Historic VOS?

P.Walker

Hi folks,

so this is my setup:

coucAnwh.jpg

6K2CSyzh.jpg

PFmINFlh.jpg

AaiI838h.jpg

I feel at home most on these two, for quite a long time now.

I would like to try something a little out of my comfort zone but not too much:

I am looking at a 57 junior singlecut in tv yellow and a stoptail historic sg in cherry.

Some doubts about both models:
57 junior: lack of a neck pickup (no duh, but wait), how does the bridge dogear compare to a paf style LP? Be as descriptive from the most simple to the most abstract. More output? Volume? Compression? Angelic overtones? You know the drill. This is one peculiar model I have never really played despite how long I've been playing. You can tell me downright you like your paf more and vice versa.

Historic SG: It's actually insane how amazing this guitar was in the shop. Weight about the same as my strat's neck ONLY. Some doubts on crowed control panel and the proximity of jack plate. Everything seems shifted left that the guitar seems to begin at the 3rd fret. Upper fret access is silly stupidly good and you don't have to make guitar faces to do them. Doubt: Don't know if the "new" neck pickup sound is to my liking (it is closer to the bridge after all). Bridge pickup was nice. Middle was very quacky- more so than the LP- maybe that's an area I haven't explored yet.

I think some smart person will chip in and say a nice 335 will do, and I would agree, but I feel my R9 does what the 335 will do, for my personal standards.

It will be a 3rd guitar- not meant to replace either one of these two, but more like a breath of fresh air, while still remaining somewhat familiar.

Both are same money locally where I am, and right now I am leaning heavily towards SG.

Historic SG owners, what say you?
Junior owners, what say you?

Much appreciated as always,
Peter

Last edited:

P.Walker

Also, I am not really into the tele/esquire thing- which I fear the Jr will be too much of.
Ideally, I want an evil brother of my R9 which does everything for me.
Also, it's perfectly okay to tell me to shut up and play the ones I have :laugh2:

In terms of style, here are a few samples, all covers but they serve the purpose of the post.

AA00475Bassman

Owned both really think either one would be great the 61 has full access , something i really like . A lot more wood with a LP JR sorting else i like this would be a hard decision ! I would not rule out a Double cut JR there again full access .

P.Walker

Owned both really think either one would be great the 61 has full access , something i really like . A lot more wood with a LP JR sorting else i like this would be a hard decision ! I would not rule out a Double cut JR there again full access .

Haha you evil man, giving me more choices! Kinda miss my 63 reissue 335 now that we're at it...

fakejake

How about a combination of both, and get an SG Junior?
You'd have something entirely different in terms of colour, bodyshape, and pickup.
Plus, you might even be able to go vintage for just a bit more money.

1jamman

I'd be considering a P-90 guitar . IMO , the best sounding Pups I've ever had (for a Gibson) were Vintage P-90's .... Rounding out what you already have with those might be something ....

Tommy Tourbus

I'd say everything being equal go for the the Jr, but if you've played both and that particular SG has the magic, get it

Tim Plains

What about a 58 Junior? Much better fret access.
Between a Junior and SG, I prefer the SG.

AA00475Bassman

I could groove on that Marshall 2061 all day nice amp ! I have a 18 watt clone with power scaling . You did hit on the ES note really IMO a must have , ES with humbuckings really would round things out for you . Ive really grown into the range finger board with my Firebirds & ES guitars . But with P 90 JR you get some very hip tones Something really happens with only two pot's in the chain !

Bruce R

.. Rounding out what you already have with those might be something ....

I concur with that. Having a P90-equipped Jr or Special will tonally fill the gap in the great guitars you already own. I'm not in the studio at this stage of my life, so I primarily use my guitars playing out. I found having an LP Special, a Historic so-called "1960" Special, with two-P90's, is a lot more versatile and practical in a gig situation than a single pickup Junior. I do have a Junior, set up for slide, so it is more of a specialty instrument as it is a one-trick pony. You'll find the P90's have a sound of their own very much in between your Strat and the Gibsons.

By the way, that 2061x rig loves P90's!