• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Astoria Line: Marshall Made a Massive Blunder!

TM1

With the Astoria line being discontinued, I feel that Marshall has made a massive blunder in doing so. Having had the pleasure of playing alot of them and owning a couple of vintage Marshall's and as well besides working on them in my shop and gigging them on a a few gigs/shows a week.
I bought an Astoria Custom head when they first landed and I bought a demo combo 2 weeks back, they are one of the best sounding amps I've had pleasure in playing over the last 48 years. I have compared mine to a 1972(inspection tag is dated 11/1/72 or January 11th 1972) 50 watt #1986 head that I own. The Astoria's sound somewhat better than my old one! Yes, a bold statement, but to my ears it does.
I personally think that if Marshall would come out with these about 500 quid less and actually promoted them, then they would have a hit on their hands!
The lack of Promoting these was criminal. I don't think I saw one print ad in any magazine(and I get alot of them and get the two U.K. ones that are better magazines than the rubbish printed here).
I doubt if Mr. Marshall was still with us that he wouldn't let these die like the current management has and I would let a fine amp series die without giving it a real good go of letting us know what they can do and what they are. Three very fine hand built, hand wired amps that sound like the early amps and can use EL34's besides the KT66's that come stock and have a variety of sonic features. Get yer head outta yer bum and give these another go!

goldtop0

The higher priced products from them never last long generally, they did more so in the 'old days' but not now, and when I saw the Origin range I thought that would give them a new foothold in the market as the 20w and 50w models are very well priced.
I've got a 1974X which is still in production so I believe and an excellent combo but for example the 1973X was not a 'hit' because of the much higher price I suspect.

TM1

The higher priced products from them never last long generally, they did more so in the 'old days' but not now, and when I saw the Origin range I thought that would give them a new foothold in the market as the 20w and 50w models are very well priced.
I've got a 1974X which is still in production so I believe and an excellent combo but for example the 1973X was not a 'hit' because of the much higher price I suspect.

I believe that the 1973 was almost as much as a full blown HW Bluesbreaker combo. I bought a 1974x from my friend Mitch Colby in 2005 when he was still at Korg. Great amp. I did swap out all the caps for vintage "mustards", installed a choke tranny and a Mercury Magnetics RS Mains and O/P, NOS valves and a late `50's Rola G12 alnico.

goldtop0

I believe that the 1973 was almost as much as a full blown HW Bluesbreaker combo. I bought a 1974x from my friend Mitch Colby in 2005 when he was still at Korg. Great amp. I did swap out all the caps for vintage "mustards", installed a choke tranny and a Mercury Magnetics RS Mains and O/P, NOS valves and a late `50's Rola G12 alnico.

That's a good upgrade Don.
I didn't go as far as that, I put a Blue in it and had to get the OT rewound as I'd got it second hand and it crapped out soon after.
Over here the 1973 was $1k more which was the same price as a normal Bluesbreaker.........NZ$4k.........only 2 1973s ever came into the country.

TM1

Yes, I remember Marshall having issues with the transformers in the 1974x.. Was a considerable amount of them. they said they tried to make them like the originals, but I know the originals never had issues like the new ones..
Here's my Astoria:

marshall1987

A product line can sink or swim with the caliber of leadership in the marketing department. On the one hand, the engineering department can build a spectacular product, but if the item is not promoted and marketed properly, it's doomed.

Upon learning of this line of Marshall amps, they barely registered with me in large part due to the naming; i.e., Astoria. Sort of sounds like a luxury New York City hotel, not a desirable Marshall amplifier I would consider owning. :dang

TM1

Upon learning of this line of Marshall amps, they barely registered with me in large part due to the naming; i.e., Astoria. Sort of sounds like a luxury New York City hotel, not a desirable Marshall amplifier I would consider owning. :dang
The name "Astoria" came from Great Britain and is the female version of "Astor". Why would you not consider owning one? I have a head and a combo and both sound better than my 1972 #1986 50 watt bass head.

goldtop0

What got my attention was the art deco look and the price...........plus when I read Astoria I went Waldorf Astoria in my head........upmarket for sure.
Likewise with these there would be only be a few in the country........ 5 units or less I'd say.

Xpensive Wino

I'm guessing the amps were named after a famous London venue at 157 Charing Cross Road, which was demolished to make way for the Elizabeth Line tube.

LondonAstoria.jpg

Mike Cahill at Marshall would know for sure, I suppose.