• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this a '69 335?

bscepter

OK - I just picked up this walnut ES-335 TDW (refinished). I love this guitar so far, but as the serial number on the headstock is not visible and the one on the label is partially obscured, I'm not sure exactly what year it is.

The relevant clues:

• Walnut finish (obvs.)
  • No volute
  • Short tenon
  • Orange label
  • Closed "b" and "o" logo
  • No stamped serial/made in USA on headstock
  • 1 ⅝" nut width

From what I've read here and other places, the lack of a volute puts it prior to 1970, and the short tenon puts it post-1968. But the headstock logo looks like an early 70s logo with the closed letters, so I'm confused. In any case, it plays and sounds great, so I don't care too much. I was just curious.

ufv7fqvz85v01.jpg

cpb8uyvz85v01.jpg

CI4Gr67.jpg

(I've also posted this over at Reddit and gotten some input. I was just curious what folks here had to say.)

Last edited:

bscepter

Looking at the label, my best guess is the serial # is 563803, which this site says could either be 1969 or 1974 or 1975.

Progrocker111

Orange label lasted until early 71, volute on ES3x5s appeared a bit later than on Les Pauls, in early 71. Logo is a 70 style with block letters. Serial should be in 9xxxxx range. I would say its a 70 one. :)

bscepter

Orange label lasted until early 71, volute on ES3x5s appeared a bit later than on Les Pauls, in early 71. Logo is a 70 style with block letters. Serial should be in 9xxxxx range. I would say its a 70 one. :)

Thanks! Question, though: when did the stamped "Made In USA" thing happen? Also, that first number - though difficult to read - looks more like a 5 than a 9.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
What is "mahogany finish"? I've never heard of this.
Model number [letters] indicate walnut, but it says refinish.
Some strange stain? :hmm