• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD:Gibson Collector's Choice #43 .....2017 58 Mick Ralphs Les Paul

porterburst

I've owned my Collectors Choice #43 Mick Ralphs for about two months now and it's just an all around amazing guitar.

With the volume and tone controls I can get tones ranging from Tele on steroids to creamy Dickey Betts or Duane Allman.

It's very open sounding with a clear hollow sounding neck pu, killer snappy Tele type middle position, and a bridge pu with just the right amount of midrange.

The ageing , color and flame is very realistic, it plays like a dream, and stays in tune very well. I think the flame pattern on this particular guitar is very close to Micks original Burst.

Depending on the type of lighting the color can look like a beautiful sunset, an ice tea finish, or deep faded cherry burst. The fret board is nice and dark and the aging on the case is tastefully done.

A few specs:

True Historic Spec

8 lbs, 9 oz.
All-Hide Glue Construction
Ralph’s Burst Finish
Mahogany Neck with ’58 “C” Shape
1.687" Neck Width at Nut

.860" Neck Profile at Nut

.950" Neck Profile at 12th Fret

•Gibson Custom Bucker Humbucker Pickups

My string height open is around 1/32 on the low and high E with no buzzing.

Neck pu height-string fretted at the last fret is 3/32 on the low and high E, bridge pu 1/16 on the high and low E.

Here are some shots I've taken in different lighting to get an idea of how the color changes depending of the type of lighting.

LfyNa5N.jpg

6jRzQOJ.jpg

Or8Ybnp.jpg

M6gRcap.jpg

bAOHz8d.jpg

lMkuYM0.jpg

7s7tNp0.jpg

FHikp8k.jpg

ZQPPUMI.jpg

F-Hole

That's about as close to the original guitar as I've seen (which I currently own). I'm glad it turned out well and that you're enjoying it.

Congratulations!

:salude

ourmaninthenorth

What a splendid looking guitar, and a great write up too :salude

You've nudged me into action, I'll be making a call later to Richard H who has one of these, to try and scrounge an hour or 2 on it.

Thanks again for sharing :2cool

ourmaninthenorth

Visit me in tropical London, there's the original, the CC prototype and serial no. 1 here for you to get into.

As generous with your time and gear as usual John.

I won't swerve it this time, I'll get this done this summer...haven't seen the Old City in a LONG time...

Lunch will be on me...salt and vinegar or cheese and onion..??

Be cool Pal. :salude

F-Hole

Currently looks like I'll be leaving this parish before summer, you may have to travel to Sunshine Beach.

ourmaninthenorth

Currently looks like I'll be leaving this parish before summer, you may have to travel to Sunshine Beach.

Roger that.

Have you run this by the Escape Committee?

Maps man, we need maps....

I'll flirt you an email later John.

porterburst

96ovD9b.jpg

Here's another shot of my 2017 58 Rolph with my Bassbreaker 007 combo I just picked up. Killer little amp with many classic rock and blues tones.

Swapped in a vintage 12AX7 in V1, and it smoothed the amp out across the board. Really sweet and warm with a very balanced eq.

Sounds amazing through my Carr Skylark as well.

porterburst

Had my Ralphs for about 8 months now and it's one of the best new Les Pauls I've owned.

Love playing it through my favorite amp, the Carr Skylark.

GAZ4Lsi.jpg

Had my Ralphs for about 8 months now and it's one of the best new Les Pauls I've owned.

I've had my Shanks CC #7 Les Paul for a year now and LOVE it just as you do your #43. (I may copy you and do a seperate write up on it.) After reading your praise of the Mick Ralphs LP I think I am going to try to pick one up to run alongside the Shanks. I have a true historic 58 RI that I'll trade in for the Ralphs. Maybe a little early christmas present for myself :hmm

I really love the dark, almost burnt, red on the back of the Ralphs. A little gory I know, but it looks like it was stained with blood. I haven't seen any other varnish on an original burst that's still that dark!

Quick question... Would you say the top looks yellow-ish in person? All these bursts are so had to photograph! They never look the same in person. Thanks!

That's about as close to the original guitar as I've seen (which I currently own). I'm glad it turned out well and that you're enjoying it.

Congratulations!

‘I heard Bernie Marsden say that Mick Ralph’s sold his 58 to Mickey Moody. Do you know if the guitar you own is that guitar?

F-Hole

‘I heard Bernie Marsden say that Mick Ralph’s sold his 58 to Mickey Moody. Do you know if the guitar you own is that guitar?

I don't know is the short answer. Mick (Ralphs) had a few 'bursts in his time, so I don't doubt Bernie's recollection as he once shared a house with Mick Ralphs.