• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fender teams up w/Guitar Center for recreation of Joe Bonamassa’s Sunburst ’55 Tele

Xpensive Wino

joe_header.webp

The two-tone sunburst finish was first introduced by Fender in 1954, and was used almost entirely on Stratocasters. However, a select few Telecasters of the time were also given the distinctive finish.

“In the 20+ years that I’ve been in the vintage business, I’ve seen two,” Jack Hetherington, Guitar Center's Director of Vintage and Used Gear, said in a press release. When a 1955 sunburst Tele showed up recently at a Guitar Center, Hetherington had only one customer in mind: Joe Bonamassa.

"I look for the extraordinary in the sea of ordinary," Bonamassa said. "I like things that are unique, whether they’re rare, really clean, really beat up. I’ll just get a text from Jack or Nick (Vintage Acquisition Manager at Guitar Center) and it’ll randomly be a Sunburst Telecaster from 1955.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/fe...intage-collector-series-1955-relic-telecaster

J.D.

I don't see any indication that this is a JB "signature" Tele. He has a rare one, and Fender is referencing it to make a ltd ed reissue.

Xpensive Wino

I don't see any indication that this is a JB "signature" Tele. He has a rare one, and Fender is referencing it to make a ltd ed reissue.

Exactly.

Only 15 of the 2-colour sunbursts are going to be made and they are only available from GCl.

Nick21

The guitar was not intended to be a signature model. More of an “inspired by” run. The only thing that has Joe’s name on it is the autograph on the certs for the Masterbuilt series.

To me, signature models either have to be extremely iconic or have been specifically designed by the artist.

P.Walker

The guitar was not intended to be a signature model. More of an “inspired by” run. The only thing that has Joe’s name on it is the autograph on the certs for the Masterbuilt series.

To me, signature models either have to be extremely iconic or have been specifically designed by the artist.

Makes sense. I agree.