• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

naturally aged historics

0 2339

latest thread of this kind is of 09 and most pics don't work anymore + historics are around for 25+- years so there must me some nicely aged ones out there i guess..?

let's see them here :jim

The Shifter

I don't know if mine have "aged" per se. They certainly haven't checked or faded. At all.
But they have been on the road a lot in the past decade or so, and it sort of shows up in pictures. It's mostly subtle, and better seen in hand.
*side note
I was bored and took off the pickguard on my Darkburst, really just to see if it had faded. Not one bit, but I decided I like the look of it sans guard.:jim
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

0 2339

thanks shifter, that's exactly what i was hoping to see!

that lady sure has seen some action - looks great!!! :salude

Wizard1183

latest thread of this kind is of 09 and most pics don't work anymore + historics are around for 25+- years so there must me some nicely aged ones out there i guess..?

let's see them here :jim
Those TRue Historics will fade like no tomorrow. On the backs if you put em in sunlight that red will disappear faster than Houdini.

Hotshot

Todays Nitro and dyes are quite different from the 50s. Remember fading wasn't a thing wanted in a durable products QC. Im pretty sure the EPA and OSH and ISO cant make the old stuff. Its close, but not " it ". Look at the 60s ones...

Big Al

Fading has nothing to do with lacqure, NOTHING! Fading is a function of how lightfast or light fugitive the coloring agent, [tint or dye], is or isn't. What f'n good is a flippin' color if it flippin' fades away?:bigal

TH's front or back don't fade any quicker. :bigal

So many wannabees crying about not having their new guitars fade away and crack n chip overnight like a 50 year old original that we now make good strong clear uv resistant finish and strong color a badthing!! Barbie Burst Brigade strikes again!!:##:##

Big Al

Geeze, you guys are no fun. I thought I'd poke the bear and get a rise out somebody, but you all must be used to a cranky ol' man by now. You know I was bustin' chops, right?:bh
Just the last part, the first half is germane. I would much rather have a naturally worn, (I hate the term AGED, I'm aged it sucks), guitar. I like these shown so far. I will have to try and get some shots of my main touring/gigging Lester, Tupolo Honey she id worn well.

Bruce R

I just spent an hour rubbing the greenish and rusty brown junk off my '06 VOS R8's pickup covers. It looked just fine when I first got it, but through the years whatever Gibson did started to accelerate the so-called aging process. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

Bruce R

To "The Shifter"

That R9 looks fantastic as it is. It is good to see a well-played guitar with a road-worn history. Glad you have liked it enough to use it all these years.