• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAD Marshall Origin 20C

Supronaut

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Just arrived today courtesy of my surprisingly early UPS driver.[/FONT]

Pre-Ordered from Sweetwater the day they announced it at NAMM. Happy to say I was No.2 on the list and first shipment out the doors from them.

I was looking for an all-rounder and I think this is it. Not by any means a high gain amp, but this guy rocks. With my EP booster it roars. The Tilt knob is really cool, and the power scaling is neat (albeit a little less potent than I expected; Expect subtle changes in volume, but on the flip side it's super transparent tone wise). It's also a tad bit noisier than I expected, but nothing to really complain about.

Overall I feel Marshall has it right with this one.

marshall-origin-jpg.305666

goldtop0

Congrats Supronaut:2cool

What is the overall sound like with the 10" speaker...... any low end growl at all.

AA00475Bassman

Very nice like the gold piping & the cloth . I have a !0" 15 watt fender I like very much . I will check out the 20 watt really has my interest . Thanks for posting Enjoy !

Supronaut

Congrats Supronaut:2cool

What is the overall sound like with the 10" speaker...... any low end growl at all.

Like the Class 5 and DSL the Origin gets a little flubby with the bass past 12'O'Clock, but with my neck pickup, Bass around 10-11 O'Clock and the volume up it sounds damn good bass wise. It's not a 12" speaker and it never will. I would bet that if you paired it with a 12" extension cab it would sound much better. But for what it is, I'm pretty satisfied.

The thing is, this really isn't a dirty amp either. So growl is a bit of a misnomer really. Even with the boost engaged I'm getting maybe AC/DC level distortion tops. But for what I want that's 100% ok. And it takes pedals really well. So adding an OD or Boost pedal to it really makes sense.

Hopefully that's helpful :)

goldtop0

Thanks for that rundown.
Yes I heard from the various clips I'd seen that it is more in the JTM type sound which is great cos I'm not a high gain player.
I use an EP Booster like you.......they're a great little pedal aren't they.

cincyguitar

Gonna wait to get mine....see how they do and if any problems other guys have with them....like output jacks in back not working....that I have heard...:biggrin:

goldtop0

Like the Class 5 and DSL the Origin gets a little flubby with the bass past 12'O'Clock, but with my neck pickup, Bass around 10-11 O'Clock and the volume up it sounds damn good bass wise. It's not a 12" speaker and it never will. I would bet that if you paired it with a 12" extension cab it would sound much better. But for what it is, I'm pretty satisfied.

The thing is, this really isn't a dirty amp either. So growl is a bit of a misnomer really. Even with the boost engaged I'm getting maybe AC/DC level distortion tops. But for what I want that's 100% ok. And it takes pedals really well. So adding an OD or Boost pedal to it really makes sense.

Admittedly I'm not a Bass knob twiddler when it comes to amps anyway, with mine(Fender or Marshall) being on about 2 or 3 max.
Another thing that I do with my lot is change the V1 tube on the odd occasion to a 12AT7 or 12AY7 from the normal 12AX7 and swap the speaker to an alnico, so in this case I'd put in a Celestion Gold 10" as a matter of course, which gives a bit more efficiency and headroom.
Still got to try these amps out........not arriving here until later in June.

deytookerjaabs

My experience with the other amp was different.

I had the Origin 50 and with the master cranked and gain on 3-4 it was more than enough for AC/DC crunch but it is a different amp. With the gain on 10 it was hairy as all hell and the boost was balls to the wall gain. Had no idea the 20 was a good bit cleaner, I'll give one a play some time.

IMO, classic AC/DC tones are fairly clean with just a hair of breakup on the edge of those higher headroom heads:

Slightly crunchy, bright, so loud you get natural echo from everywheres! But, comparatively speaking, pretty darn clean.

....The way it should be dagnabbit.