• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My upgraded Les Paul Tribute A+++

EFLOW

This Les Paul Tribute is an amazing guitar, it is very resonant, neck profile is 60' s. I made some modifications on this little Gibson :

- Buffing finish
- Blank '59 Historic truss rod cover
- Black plastics and 5 ply pickguard
- Historic switch tip and black poker chip
- Nickel metal jack plate
- Gold knobs
- Gibson ABR-1 bridge

I made a faux binding and I love the sesult.

I have a set of black M96 pickup rings not installed yet :)

les_pa26.jpg

les_pa25.jpg

EFLOW

PS :

Les_Paul_T_Gold_Top_636a7.JPG

Buffed finish and the "faux" binding add to the over all appearance of the Les Paul Tribute.

Last edited:

MAD 69

I recently bought a Nickle jack plate - did you put your underneath the "vintage" one? Did you need to use longer screws?

EFLOW

Screws are the same, if you buy a Gibson spare part it come with screws.

MAD 69

Ok cool, I want to put the nickel plate underneath the plastic plate, was concerned the screws wouldn't be long enough, haven't opened the package yet...

tiller2

Eye-catching look, EFLOW--the gold, the black, and the crisp white. Very neat work and well done! Enjoy your snazzy LP.

Cyphex

That’s a really impressive result! Always loved the look of a goldtop with black parts:peace2 Just out of curiosity, how did you make the faux binding? Just sanding down the paint with some clear paint on top? I have a 50’s honeyburst Tribute with the need for some faux binding:)

EFLOW

I scraped the gold paint with a cutter blade mounted on 2 cards and applied 2 clear coats with a small paint brush made for scale models.

MAD 69

Did you ever swap pickups? The 490/498 couldn't come out fast enough (not sure if your year has them?) Put a set of Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers in bridge and neck, it smoothed out my tone. I used black and removed the covers, I'm thinking of blacking it out also.

EFLOW

I installed the WIZZ M-69 pickup rings, very nice.
This is crazy how a $850 Les Paul became a sexy guitar with a little job.

The 490T humbucker is not very good, I think I will upgrade with a 498T or with a Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1, if you have good ideas ...

Enootebos

Wow! I also have a goldtop 60's tribute and made it glossy, putted mini humbuckers in and smoothed the fretboard, it's a great player and sounds amazing. But mine doesn't have that binding on the body..Was that a differend edition or so? cheers!

This Les Paul Tribute is an amazing guitar, it is very resonant, neck profile is 60' s. I made some modifications on this little Gibson :

- Buffing finish
- Blank '59 Historic truss rod cover
- Black plastics and 5 ply pickguard
- Historic switch tip and black poker chip
- Nickel metal jack plate
- Gold knobs
- Gibson ABR-1 bridge

I made a faux binding and I love the sesult.

I have a set of black M96 pickup rings not installed yet :)

les_pa26.jpg

les_pa25.jpg

ZZ Not

Nice looking guitar, I think your upgrades worked out nicely. Do you have another photo with a better look at the faux binding?

I like the style of that case, it almost looks to have a Cali-girl shape. The thick padding and dual neck support are nice too. Seems to have a nameplate on the side but I can't make it out. If you have more info or pics it would be appreciated.

Bdzombie

I also have a tribute GT and have wondered about buffing the stain finish..... like does it make it glossy like higher end ones?

S a m

Wow! I also have a goldtop 60's tribute . . . But mine doesn't have that binding on the body..Was that a differend edition or so?
No, the OP carefully scraped off the edge of the goldtop finish with a razor blade to show 'white' maple. Then, he says, he applied clear-coat with a handbrush.

It's safe to say that there are a millon ways to get that job 'almost right!'

I also have a tribute GT and have wondered about buffing the stain finish..... like does it make it glossy like higher end ones?
Most of the time matte finishes are sprayed with 'matte-ifier' chemicals. That means the finish goes on with micro-pits (or micro-bumps, I forget which) that yield the matte effect. The manufacturer doesn't have to spend as much time wet-sanding, and no time gloss-buffing. Some people like it and some people don't.

I've buffed a couple of those to a nice semi-gloss. They tend to lose some lustre over time. I've never wet-sanded before buffing -- it might yield a high-gloss result, but I would be one sneeze away from a guitar with a bare patch.

If your guitar has a matte finish and you want a guaranteed permanent high-gloss outcome, wet-sand the matte, spray gloss on top, wet-sand, buff and compound the gloss coats. Or pay a pro to do it.